• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconnects

Yellow XJNJ

NAXJA Forum User
FedEX just dropped off my disconnects. Got a set of the JKS discon's. I'm hoping that installation is easier than the directions make it sound. I just want to know if there are any tips that could be provided before I attempt this one.

Should be pretty easy. On some years the stock lower sway bar links are pressed in the axle bracket, and might be tough to get out, but can be done with a hammer.

He's right. Even though the lower bolts have a torx head they won't unscrew. They are splined and pressed in. Really caused me some problems on my 97. Even the dealer service dept didn't know about it.

I used a grinder, and ground off those d#$@ hex heads, then found out they were pressed in. Dealer didn't have a clue they were pressed in. I used grade 8 bolts from ACE to replace them.

Mike,

I used a 2 prong gear puller and a partially threaded nut on the end of the stud and it came out very easy.

--Matt

XJ_MAC said:
He's right. Even though the lower bolts have a torx head they won't unscrew. They are splined and pressed in.
Unfortunately, as with most things JEEP, most blanket statements seem to have exceptions. On my '87, I didn't know that the lower bolts were supposed to be splined into place, so I attached a 55 (I think that's the right size) Torx wrench and held the nut on the back and unscrewed the bolts with no problem (no splines).:)

make sure you grease up the disconnect well..and dont forget the lock-tight. And remember the U-strap goes ABOVE the sway bar.

Pipe wrench

The bolts on my 91 weren't splined but I used a pipe wrench, lots of PB and the proper socket and they were in the trash in no time. Go grade 8!!

Back