• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modifying the stock crossmember

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Who has cut the bottom off of the stock crossmember and welded in other steel to gain ground clearance and strength? Details, pics? TIA.

It doesn't seem like it would be too much more trouble to build a new one from scratch. You could even add a transfer case drop. All the aftermarket ones I've seen look simple enough to make.

xj92 said:
Who has cut the bottom off of the stock crossmember and welded in other steel to gain ground clearance and strength? Details, pics? TIA.

Got your PM, was at work and hadn't answered yet, so I'll do it here. :)

I cut mine even with the bottom of the lip, then welded on a 1/4" plate, bending it up a little on the ends to conform to the shape. Then a notch was cut to clear the front driveshaft, which I needed, and 1x1 heavy wall tubing was added at the top to make sure it was strong enough. I didn't add the 1x1 all the way across because there's no room, but I did it as much as I could. I've been on it many, many times and have bent other things underneath, but the crossmember has not bent up yet.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Prepmech said:
It doesn't seem like it would be too much more trouble to build a new one from scratch. You could even add a transfer case drop.

The idea is to make it as high clearance as possible. A transfer case drop is to avoid having to do an SYE, and is not a desireable thing. I've seen few crossmembers that are tucked up as nicely as this one is, and it's very simple to do.

Works for me too. I must admit, I copied Goatman. I haven't had a problem with it and I did not add any steel on top other than a chunk of 1/4" under the tranny mount to compensate for the 1/4" drop my U shaped frame rail protectors provided. Tranny mount studs aren't really long enough for this, but I did it anyway and the nuts haven't come loose yet...at least I don't think they have. :) Jeff

Back