• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toyota axles in an XJ?

FYR WOOD

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this? I have been considering my options for axle swaps, and can find tons of Waggy 44 fronts, but havent really decided on the rear. I have heard tons of good things about Toyota axles, and seen them take some serious beatings. Both being 6 lug I think this would make for a pretty cool swap. Would I encounter any driveshaft problems going from an NP case to a Toyota axle flange? Any ideas?

Scott

Been done. Good choice in axles. High Angle Driveline has an adaptor for the Toyota flange mount to accept a 1310 joint.

Get a Tacoma axle with an E-locker. Very stout, and for less than $500, you can be locked up with a very stout axle.

CRASH

I did it with an IFS rear (58.5" wide 8"). It's not too dificult, and I really like the Toy axle; D35 clearance, D44 strength, removable third, tons of aftermarket.....

yes you can get the flange from HAD, and you need to reflare or use adapters for the metric brakelines.

I'm not sure if you could do a 58.5" rear under an XJ though, cause mine was under an MJ and the leafs are pretty close to the axle ends, and XJ leaves are mounted a little wider.

The Tacoma 8.25" (aka 8.4) is a great axle, stronger in the third, but less aftermarket and 60" wide. The Tacoma's that have the E-locker it is still an 8" axle at 60" wide, but you will be very lucky to find one for less than $500.

You going to have to use a Taco' axle. get one with the E-locker if you can. Most, if not all have 4.10 gears stock.

4.56 and 4.88 were available from the factory as well, e-lockers are expensive if the seller knows what they have, pretty much the same as an ARB. You're only real chance at getting one cheap is the unlikely event that a junkyard has one and they don't realize it's value.

Do a search on www.car-part.com. My friend got a Taco E-lcoker 3rd member for $250, for another hundred, they would have sent the whole housing.

CRASH

What is the bolt pattern and width on the Toy axles?
Because it seems like a good option to have the E-locker already installed.
Do any of them have discs, or are they drums?

They are 6lug with a 5.5" bolt circle

I almost did this swap, although I was looking at a '97-'02 model 4Runner axle, which are also 60" WMS to WMS. I found one for $675 shipped to your door with factory 4.56 gears and e-locker...but the boneyard messed up the shipping or was trying to defraud me or whatever...so I canceled it and went with a Currie high pinion 9"...which was more $$$ but an ideal solution for 35" tires.

The problem with the Toy 8" is the bolt pattern of 6 on 5.5. As I understand it, you can't easily convert this pattern to 5 on 5.5 to match a typical D44 Warn hub front end setup. Other than that little problem, you really can't beat the 8" for price/performance combo...as others have said the axle shafts are the same as a D44, but the diff clearance is about that of a D35.

As Crash pointed out, www.car-part.com is an awesome resource for locating axles...these can definitely be had with 4.56's and e-lockers for not much more than you pay for a beat up old XJ D44 without gears or locker.

Nay

I would definitely jump on that, to get a whole axle with e-locker and 4.56 for under $700. I'll definitely be doing some looking on car-part.com , and if anyone sees an e-locker with 4.56 or especially 4.88 gears on there, please let me know! (if you don't want it for yourself of course)

I don't see a problem with the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, the Waggy D44 is a great swap for the front and has the same bolt pattern and just a little wider (61.5) which is what you want.

Fergie said:
Has anyone considered using a Toy front axle? Are they pass or driver drop?

Fergie

I was going to run Yota' axle front and rear on my YJ. I did a lot of research and found it wouldent be worth the hassle for the front. Things you have to consider about the front:

(1) passenger side drop (I was going to get an AtlasII so no big deal for me)
(2) They are 58" wide....thats way to narrow.
(3) You will have to go with a Cross-over steering set up to run this axle
(4) They have very weak Birf feild joints and are pretty expensive to upgrade.

I think Im still going to run a Yota rear axle from a Taco because it is 60" WMS to WMS wich is stock width. Its also nice that you can get a High-Pinion for these. They are very light compared to a Dana axle and just as strong, or stronger than a D44. For the front axle I will run a waggy D44 wich is also a 6 lug bolt pattern and will match the rear Yota axle.

So what do you have to do to hook up the locker? Is it electronically activated? I just read that on the stock 4.88 gears made by toyota, the pinion is closer the the ring gear so the ring gear is a thin design. Apparently only Toyota made it that way, so does that mean after market gears aren't thin? Will they even fit?

Another good featuer of the later model 8" axles is the 12.1" drums...which probably averts the need for rear discs, saving you even more coin. I already had a HP Ford D44 front with 5 on 5.5, so the Waggy option wasn't there for me. But that would definitely be a good complement to the 8".

Ultimately, if you have the coin, going high pinion front and rear is a major advantage for rock crawlers in terms of clearance, but you'll pay in multiples over these low pinion solutions to get it.

Nay

Yea...that or for ONLY $2000 you could have Currie build you a 9" ;) :D

Renegade Jpr said:
I was going to run Yota' axle front and rear on my YJ. I did a lot of research and found it wouldent be worth the hassle for the front. Things you have to consider about the front:

(1) passenger side drop (I was going to get an AtlasII so no big deal for me)
(2) They are 58" wide....thats way to narrow.
(3) You will have to go with a Cross-over steering set up to run this axle
(4) They have very weak Birf feild joints and are pretty expensive to upgrade.

I think Im still going to run a Yota rear axle from a Taco because it is 60" WMS to WMS wich is stock width. Its also nice that you can get a High-Pinion for these. They are very light compared to a Dana axle and just as strong, or stronger than a D44. For the front axle I will run a waggy D44 wich is also a 6 lug bolt pattern and will match the rear Yota axle.

okay, a few things wrong with this: Toyota fronts are way cheaper to beef up than a D44, check the PBB vendors section and you will see that you can get upgraded birfs and chromolly inner axles for $360. That's the cost of 2 CTMs, not including alloy shafts. You could run 38s, maybe 40s on the upgraded Toy, the next weak link is the R&P. You do have some other good points though about the downsides to the Toy front.

Another thing, you do not want to run a Toyota high pinion in a rear application. I looked into this, and the consensus was that it might hold up to a Suzuki on 33s, but NO WAY a Jeep with a 4.0 on 35s+.

Yea, but the thing is there is no need to beef up a D44 to run 35's and a locker. A stock Yota front with 35's and a locker = broken Birf's. Now if you do build up the Yota axle, its REALLY strong.

Back