• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended breaklines question

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
I heard that you can use breaklines off a 95YJ on a lifted XJ. Has anyone done this? Any tricks to know about? Do they need to be ordered from the dealer or can I go to NAPA or Autozone and pick these up? I have a 96XJ w/o ABS. Thanks in advance for the help.

Rear and front.....

Are both about 4" longer. I used a 92 YJ line in the rear. I believe they are all about the same. I got mine at Advanced Auto Parts. NAPA or AutoZone or any onther parts house in a day or two. By the way the Dakota is supose to have a line that is 8" longer. HTH!

Dirk at DPG suggested the front and rear lines from a 95+ YJ to fit an XJ with up to a 5" lift. That's what I'm running on mine. Picked them up from a Big A, IIRC, but you can get them anywhere.

I replaced my front lines with '95 YJ fronts, and the rear with a '95 YJ rear - I'm at 4.5" of lift. The OEM rear line was stretched like a guitar string and limiting droop. The front OEM lines, even with straightening of the hardlines and re-attachment lower down, were also acting like limiting straps. It's amazing how strong the OEM lines are 'cause I flexed up regularly with them for a good 6 months and they never failed (I had tested their "tautness" when the suspension & LCA's were new, and they were just taut, so thought I was OK - once the rear leafs broke in & the bushings wore a little in the LCA's and trackbar, things got beyond "just taut" both rear and front).

For the front lines you'll find that you may have to bend the lower hard line a touch for clearance at full steering lock - nothing much; just be aware and test to see what need be done.

Braided Lines

Any thoughts on braided brake lines? I ran them religiously on my motorcycles when I used to road race, but I'm wondering if they make any noticable difference off road.

Robert

Re: Braided Lines

XJWheelie said:
Any thoughts on braided brake lines? I ran them religiously on my motorcycles when I used to road race, but I'm wondering if they make any noticable difference off road.

Robert
I'm running the YJ SS braided lines for a year now without issues.
They're are also longer then the aftermarket XJ SS lines.

Back