• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intresting find about my swap......Jeff in Va.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok so I got the 94 somewhat running this weekend. When I installed the rear DS the slip yoke engaged more in the 231 than in the 207. Measureing the 207 out it's 16.5" long. Anyone know the lenght of the 231? I'm guessing about 17-17.5" long. Jeff what issues did you have with your rear DS on your swap?

The 231 I have measures in right around 17", give or take an 1/8th" or so, from the trans mating surface to the end of the output shaft. As far as driveshaft issues go, there really weren't any....but remember, mine started as a 2WD originally. I picked up a spare XJ rear DS somewhere along the way (but I have no idea what it came out of) that just magically seemed to match the measurements I made once I slapped all the 4WD stuff in. I got the measurement on advice from the guy who will be cutting my 2WD MJ shaft down. He said to bury the slip yoke into the TC and back it out 1", then measure the distance from the center of the yoke U-joint cap the the center of the pinoin yoke u-joint cap...which I measured out to be 47.5". The XJ shaft I had was 48", so I threw it up in there and all seems to be working well with the stock configuration I have. I did have to use an XJ slip-yoke (like the spare one you sent me) because of the difference in the spline count on the 2WD MJ yoke, and the XJ yoke is a tad shorter than the MJ yoke (about 3/8" or so). I've also seen posts that say YJ yokes are a bit longer than XJ yokes, I think...maybe you could make up the length difference by using a different yoke???

Umm, that is not the problem......

The shaft I have is fine. The point is to confim what I thought. The 207 is shorter than the 231. Albiet only .5" but it is shorter! Um and I have three YJ yokes in the shop and there are 2 different ones that I have found so far.

Jeff, it was a 48" long XJ driveshaft? My driveshaft for my longbed 4x4 MJ is 48", I can only see the XJ shaft as 48" if it was out of a 2wd.

Very well could have been, I have no idea. It came in a package of crap I bought awhile ago when I first started gathering parts for the 4WD conversion.

Wanna buy a D30 with some 3.55's in it, cheap? :anon:
Jeff

Back