• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Questions

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
so right now, i've got a completely stock (suspension) '89 XJ ltd. I"m looking at putting on the 4.5" RE kit. My question is...how long can I put off putting on the SYE kit after installing the lift? Also, how many of you out there went with the 3.5" and then went higher? I'm not completely locked onto the 4.5", but I'd pretty much seen that a lot of people who started out at 3/3.5" went higher later anyway.

As for the title of my post...how much rub occurs with the 4.5" and 32X11.50 tires? I was looking into the Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts, but the largest size they make for the 15" rims are the 31X10.50. Anyone have recommendations for me??? Should I stay with the 32's or drop down to the 31's? (my XJ is my dd/only car, and I wheel once every 3-4 mos.)

thanks for the help y'all!:cheers:

I am no expert but thats what I am putting on 91 LAredo, RE says 4.5 will fit 32s and with some trim work you can put 33s. My friend has this and no rub with his 32s but each XJ is its on little monster.

You can fit 32's under the 4.5" lift but you will have to trim the inner fenders (nothing that shows) if you want it to not rub when disconected.

I have a 89xj with 4.5" lift, 33's (lots of trimming) and no SYE. You probably can get away without the SYE as long as your u-joints are in good shape and you shim your rear axle accordingly. You might need a transfer case drop worst case.

Nothing wrong with going to 3" and then working your way up to 4.5" over a period of time. Lots of us have done that, including my self. Eventually I will be going to 6" just to increase the flex, not to put larger tires on.

Michael

Back