• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaking in the u-joint/transfer case

brandonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 XJ and for the last few weeks there has been a squeak
when going down the road. We put it up on jack stands today and
isolated it to the area around the transfer case or the u joint.
While on the stands, if the vehicle is in 2WD, no squeak. When the
vehicle is then put in 4WD and XJ is in drive, a bad squeek from
around transfer case or U-Joint starts. But once you go back to 2WD
drive it will stop again. Any Ideas?
Right now the vehicle the XJ is up on stands, if any one is around
today and around north Phoenix can help me figure it out it would be
appreciated.
Is there a lube point in that area that may help?
Can anyone give me a quick walkthrough on how to remove the front driveshaft?

Thanks
Brandon
602-375-1759

While you have it on jack stands, grab the drivers side wheel and turn it slowly.Transfer case in nuteral. You should be able to hear if it is the DC joint or the front seal in the TC.This seal is a double lip type and if it wasn,t lubed when it was put in it may dry out and squeal. Only cure is to remove yoke&seal .To pull drive shaft-4 bolts on the front U-joint(5/16s) and 4 bolts on the flange at the TC(12point 5/16s (IIRC)) Don,t drop the caps on the u-joint and mark the flange/yoke at the TC.
HTH
Wayne

"I have a '91 XJ and for the last few weeks there has been a squeak when going down the road ... Any Ideas?"

My '91 developed a random squeal in the front driveshaft ... it went away when I had it replaced with my RE lift. Prior to that, I had it at the dealer to find the squeal ... they couldn't because it was random ... it would appear after a short-to-medium drive on the freeway.

"Is there a lube point in that area that may help?"

Yes, on mine ... there was a zirk on the front driveshaft. After that trip to the dealer, I finally crawled under it and found the zirk completely dry ... hadn't been touched for a long time. So I lubed it myself and the squeal went away ... for awhile... then it came back ... lubed it again ... squeal went away ... and after a month it came back again.

My guess is the idiots I paid for a lube and oil change missed it over the years ... I had 13 zirks under the chassis when stock. I would tell them to make sure to hit all 13----I guess you can't expect a monkey to be anything but a monkey ... ten fingers ... ten zirks ... that's as far as a monkey can count.

I just drove it until my new lift was installed ... had to replace the driveshafts anyway.

Squeal is gone now.

Back