• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air intake addapter...... (shaker hood)

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok here is the addapter I plan on useing for my air intake. It has a 3" opening. Was thinking about taking a cone filter and putting it straight on the top and drilling a hole in the hood. Talk about cold air intake! Or I'l put a short addapter on it to bring it to hood level and then put a 3" or so hole in the hood for it to come out of. Then I'll cut a larger hole that will attach to this and the hood can raise and lower but seals and shakes with the motor. Oh yea and I'll build some kind of scoop for it. What you guys think? Am I nuts? Any input would be appreciated!

791150Airintakeadapter.JPG

yes you are nuts. :D

i think that is a good idea, but water in the filter in the rain may cauce trouble unless the scoop faces the rear.

I will keep you all posted......

Weather you want to be or not! If rain would flood it then why do snorkles work? They face forward.

snorkles work because they have a drain (similiar to a trap in a bathroom sink). This acts as a sump for liquids that may enter

good luck with it though!!!

hood scoop - fresh air inlet

Why not consider a old-fashioned cowl induction hood like on the 69 Z/28 or older Vettes? There is a high pressure area created in front of the windshield that helps push colder ambient air into the intake system (thats why GM did that...not for looks ;) ). It also eliminates rain from being driven into the air intake. The raised hood area may help with underhood air temps too :thumbup:

BLUTO :)

If you do this, for god's sake post some pics. This needs to be seen by more Jeepers!

Re: I will keep you all posted......

Ghost said:
Weather you want to be or not! If rain would flood it then why do snorkles work? They face forward.

Uh because snorkles enter the bottom of the airbox, WHERE THE DRAIN HOLES ARE! This is bolted directly to the throttle body, NOT a good idea.

I wouldn't worry so much about a little rain, but if you crossed a stream (even like a 1.5' deep one) at the right angle you'll cause a wave to be sucked right into your water scooper.

BAD IDEA.

Well not exactly......

i have thought of that and was thinking of it having a damn or something. I'll try and mock something up after I get it running so you can see what I'm talking about. It is in its planning stages and I am looking for input like that so I can avoid these kind of problems. Keep em coming guys!

maybe it is a stupid question, has anyone tried or even thought of routing their a/c duct to their air intake? the colder the better eh? hehehehe :D

dogtired said:
maybe it is a stupid question, has anyone tried or even thought of routing their a/c duct to their air intake? the colder the better eh? hehehehe :D

Check the MadXJ site, there's a cowl air intake mod writeup there.

Caution there.........

From what I've read about it (The F150 lighting has or is going to have something like this) it is not recomended for the R12 system. Apparently it is volital or something. But the R134 is fine.

Um, running the ac to the intake would accomplish nothing, it might even slow you down. The compressor doesn't move enough air to create boost and even if you get 1 hp from the cool air, it takes more than that to turn the compressor.
This is the answer
P1010047.JPG

That'll be good for visibility. What about putting the spare tire on the hood landrover style?

CW said:
Um, running the ac to the intake would accomplish nothing, it might even slow you down. The compressor doesn't move enough air to create boost and even if you get 1 hp from the cool air, it takes more than that to turn the compressor.

he's not talking about using the AC compressor to provide any change in manifold pressure. he's speaking of using a seperate AC coil as an intercooler, just like the F150 lightning's supercharger (the new one).

doing this on a non-forced induction vehicle won't give you any noticeable increase in power. obviously turbochargers and superchargers create tons of heat- in turbos its not only from the compressing of the air, but from the exhaust on the other side of the turbine. in roots-style blowers the heat comes from air compression, friction, and heat transfer between the engine itself and the blower body. centrifugal style blowers are the coolest running FI setup out there, but they still heat the incoming charge a good bit.

the lightning system is kick ass IMO. i like roots style superchargers- twin rotary screws are very efficient and they have tons of power poetntial. blowing the compressed intake charge over a coil cooled by the AC compressor is a kick ass way to get a LOT of intercooling without a lot of extra metal and plumbing. but it wont help much unless your intake charge is HOOOT and/or compressed (which naturally adds heat). it would definitely cool the intake charge, but its a load of hassle for not a lot of gain. the efficiency increases tremendously when the air is compressed or if it is VERY hot.

Well with the pre-runner bumper, flares and miner lift, it would look like a pre-runner JeepSpeed rig, with no snorkal, it must not see much water.

Heay ghost. Run it thro the fire wall and have the intake inside the cab :D then there is no concern for liguids (unless you spill a drink :eek: ) Run the A/C for colder intake :angel:

Re: hood scoop - fresh air inlet

BLUTO said:
Why not consider a old-fashioned cowl induction hood like on the 69 Z/28 or older Vettes? There is a high pressure area created in front of the windshield that helps push colder ambient air into the intake system (thats why GM did that...not for looks ;) ). It also eliminates rain from being driven into the air intake. The raised hood area may help with underhood air temps too :thumbup:

BLUTO :)

In my reading on cowl induction, on an XJ this will not work as good because the end of the hood is to far from the windsheild.
If you look at the Z/28 or Vette the opening is much closer to the windsheild to get the forced air effect.

You can mount an '80s Chrysler LaBaron airbox in the same location as your stock water reservoir is and make a duct to suck air from under the cowl area. Cut a rectangular hole & seal it in, it'll draw cool air from under the windshield & will be high enough to keep from swamping it, and the cowl has drains. If you're in water deep enough to flood the box you've got bigger fish to fry.

BTW, this isn't ALL my idea I got the cowl sucking idea elsewhere.

Back