• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BPE orientation

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hi gang,
I have the RRO BPE's and I'm not real hot on them. I did a search and I think I understand my problem. Maybe someone could let me know if I have this right;
I have 4.5" lift and the rear shocks that I am about to install are going on with some dificulty. The way the RRO rear BPE's work, the bottom loop ends up oriented perpendicular to the top loop. It is my understanding that this is NOT the best setup. Would I be better off going with the JKS BPE's? I think they allow the loops to both line up the same.
Thanks for your help, as always:)
Todd
http://www.rocky-road.com/barpin.html

correct. The BPE should allow the shock to twist in it's mount as the axle articulates. So the eye should be in the same orientation as the original mount not 90 deg off.

Michael

I sent an email to RRO with my thoughts on these. Here is what I got back;

"The bind is what preloads the bushing and eliminates the rattling that
happens with straight bolts or bar pins over time. Without the preload,
the bushing hole eggs in shape over time and allows slop. By preloading
that bushing, the hole doesn't 'egg' and you eliminate the noise problems.
The bushings are designed to flex so that it will not harm the shocks. We
have used these BPEs on thousands of lifts over the years and not heard of
any shock eye failures."

I have always been extremely satisfied with the quality of Glenn's work, not to mention customer service. That being said......I still think this is not the best solution.

They are obviously not engineers. Bind is not equal to preloading anything. I have never seen or had their BPE's but the orientation should allow the shock to go through its travel without binding the bushing. Preload should be controlled by the BPE and the pressure that it holds the bushing with on each side (this supports the bushing so that it does not egg in shape and fail prematurely).

Michael

I like Glen, but that's a lame answer at best..........

I run my own version of BPE that orient the shock eye on the stock mounting plane and have no problems with bind, rattle or droop. The only downside to mine is that they effectively shorten the usable collapsed length of the shock by about 1", although I have yet to bottom one out so it's not really an issue.
You can modify an RE weld-on upper shock bracket to work, or just buy weld-on tabs and build your own. Some like rear shock hoops that M.O.R.E makes........my jury is still out these.

Will RRO's BPE's cause a failure, probably not. Are they the best solution? No. The JKS BPE's orient the shock bushing in the correct direction.

FWIW, the factory shock mounts on a TJ rear axle orient the lower shock eyes parallel to the axle, not perpendicular like on the XJ. Basically the same effect as the RRO BPE's, only on the other end of the shock.

Thanks You Guys

I just got off the phone with Dirk at DPG. New set of JKS BPE's on the way. I just couldn't live with that crap under there. I like Glen too, but not his BPE's.

i just put on a set of jks bpe last weekend and what a change! i thought i would have to put up with the shaking forever. def. a good product!

Back