• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do Revolver Shackles Provide Lift?

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to get the rear of my XJ up about another 1.5" and like the idea of the revolver shackles but I am not sure if they are able to provide lift as well as do their fancy droop trick. Could someone let me know?

If they don't provide any more lift then I think I many go with another leaf in the OME rear spring pack since it likes to sag.

Thanks,
Jamie

I 'think' mine were good for approx 3/4" of lift over stock.

After a few trailrides and seeing how they didn't help my setup any (plus reading the horror stories of their bad side effects) I switched to MJ shackles.

I'd think adding a leaf would be preferrable (and maybe slightly longer shackles -like an MJ set- if needed) to revolvers, but that's just my $.01 Others may swear by them...

Ditto.

I have the same springs as you, and had the same problem as you are now having. Call Dirk at DPG and get a pair of JCXL add a leafs by OME. They are not a standard AAL, but designed for the OME packs. They are full length and give about a 1" lift and add 20% to your spring rate. I actually got almost 1.5" from them. Best $100 I have spent yet.
Scott

I don't think revlovers help any. Or at least on the apps I saw they dind't help. The tire can droop farther but you don't have enough weight on the tire to provide forward motion. So unless you have a locker the tire will just spin.

With those JCXLs designed for the OME packs will I have to remove my leaf springs to install those? With the hidden hitch and C4x4 bumper I have a feeling it's going to be a little bit of a pairn to take those out and install the JCXLs but it's looking like that's going to be the way to go for the rear end. And I'll probably have to get some form of locker for the rear diff in the next year or so since I am only 2wd to start with!

-Jamie

I did, but...

You don't have to.
Just drop the axle, clamp the spring pack together, and remove the center pin. Then take off the clamps, put the JCXL in the second position, and use the centering bolt to bring the pack tight again. After this is done, bounce on the rear end and then put the clamps on.
When I did this, I also swapped the leaf packs from right to left. In an XJ, the passenger side will go soft first and sag, due to the torque applied to that corner of the chassis during acceleration. I swapped the packs, added the leaf, and sat level with 1"+ of extra lift. The spring rate is farr better that the soft stock rate of the med. duty packs. Good luck, and don't sweat taking off the leafs, its the right way to do it.
Good time to paint and lube the leafs, too.
Scott

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I am going to have some work to do before my trip down to Florida from PA!

-Jamie

no, revolvers do not provide any lift over stock. i called on that awhile back and those were the exact words of the technician.

Back