• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6x9 speakers in front xj doors???

It's easy and well worth it.
I ripped out the stockers, and shoved the jigsaw in there...took about 20 minutes, no clearance issues (pwr windows) and they sound great (4way pioneer 300w)

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

I agree, go with the 6.5" speaker.... round speakers have better sound. and seems like its a lot less work. get some of those foam speaker protectors that go in the door on the back of each speaker. they will keep out the water and make the sound more punchy and tight...like a tiger. JMHO

Check the depth, I had a set on the shelf, I was gonna put in there, they were too deep.

Thanks guys, the reason why I dont get 6.5's is I have
a 2000 xj. The holes are exactly 6" (Totaly faggot idea!!)
I would have to cut anyway so why not go a little bigger
if I can.
:D

ive got a 98 with 6.5 components and they fit. you just have to flush mount them to the door cover not in the original speaker mounting location. my 6.5's are the top of the line JL component sets. dont wanna steal the thread but what type of foam stuff are ya talking about (dyno matt)

I fit alpine 6.5" in the front doors of my 98, just didn't use the included black bracket. Two of the four corner holes line up with the factory holes, just had too drill the other two. After that they fit mint and sounds great.

the foam thingys are on the crutchfeild website...theyre basically a foam pocket that covers the back of the speaker inside the door. theyre mounted in between teh speaker and the door pannel.

I think that they are a good way to prolong the life of the speakers...especially in the older XJs that have poor window seals.

I mounted a set of Focal 5.25" components(polykevlar) in the door and trimmed out a 2x1" hole in the bottom of the foam cups...that way air from the speaker still makes it into the door and any water that gets in from the window seal just drips onto the foam from above and rolls off w/o getting on the speaker....

I ran the components for about a year and when i added the foam inserts it sounds a lot better .

BTW, the speakers mounted in the door are kina low for optimum sound imaging...components with a separate tweeter are one way to get MUCH better sound. This tweeter can be mounted so that it can point upward at the drivers ears. much better sound...

I hope this helps.

-j

rockcrawler01 said:

I would have to cut anyway so why not go a little bigger
if I can.
:D
because a nice 6.5 separate will rock any 6x9. (especially if you're down with external amplification)

The foam baffles are a must for the XJ. It sounds sooooo much better with them compared to without. Zero rattling (at last with mine). Plus they aren't that expensive.

How much hacking is needed to put 6.5's in the rear gate? Any pics? I didn't want to hack on the fiberglass thinking it might weaken the gate. Done ordered 4 Polk DB525's since Crutchfeild has that get 2nd pair 1/2 price sale on the DB's and they had the 525's in the S&D section for 76.49 so 4 were only 114.74. But if I can get 6.5's back there I might just send 1 pair back and get the DB650's instead.
Mike B.

I put a set of Kicker 6.5s in doors. There was some cutting involved, but that much. Just be careful of the wires for the power locks and windows (if you have them). With the grills on, the 6.5s look nearly factory. And yes, 6.5s sound awesome.

Also, I did initially measure for 6x9s and there was enough room for the Kicker 6x9s I was to purchase. Much more cutting would have been needed to make them fit flush.

--Matt

did this mod. 4yrs ago.if you do this, donot put sound dead mat. in the door it will sound to muddy..enjoy the sounds

As for putting speaks in the back liftgate, those should be secondary. You want the main soundstage up front and "fill" sound from the rear. Makes for a much better soundstage...

hey not tryin to steal the thread but is there is good speaker that u can fit in the factory hoel on the older xj's. I didnt necesarly want to do any cutting so i was thinkin about buyin a good speaker that can fit without cutting.

dellstopjeep said:
hey not tryin to steal the thread but is there is good speaker that u can fit in the factory hoel on the older xj's. I didnt necesarly want to do any cutting so i was thinkin about buyin a good speaker that can fit without cutting.

http://www.crutchfield.com/ Has the Polk db525's which will fit the stock openings. The Polks are on sale buy 1 pair get 2nd pair 1/2 price. They might even still have some scratch and dent specials that were even less and the 1/2 off still applied to those as well. Crutchfield supplies all the wiring adapters and such at no extra charge as well, been dealing with them for almost 20 years now and they've always done me right.
Mike B.

the 6x9s arnt a bad idea if you have power windows, if not the speaker grill will get in the way the window crank. My 2 cents, you can put 6.5s in the doors then go to a salvage yard and get you some spare kickpannels put 5.25 in the kickpanels, be sure to put carpet or a piece of plastic between the magnet on the speaker and the computer on the pas side. You can usally fit a seet on 1 inch tweets in the pannels as well. Then on the older models 96 and below i think, you can get 3in and below in the lower plastic grill holes of the Dash. Build you a sub box to go in the back, but make where the subs fire down towards the floor, with the box elevated about 1.5 to 2 inches. this will act as a false floor and you will still have great sound as well as a place to through stuff without damaging your subs

Later Heath

I know It wont sound as good and you'd have to use seperate tweeters, but what about puttin the front speakers under the dash so when u take your doors off you can still have tunes? Thoughts?

Back