• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who's got the best motor mounts?

What Rd

NAXJA Forum User
Whoa! Just found that my driver's side motor mount is pretty worn, and the passenger side one is TRASHED.
So I'm in need of a new set but would like to hear the voice of experience on different brands. I'm leaning toward rubber over poly to keep the vibes down (hey - I've compromised in other areas) but am wondering who's got the best rubber-bushing mounts?
I've heard that MORE's are good - any experience?
Any others?
TIA

I've got the MORE poly mounts. THeyre a little rough, but not that bad. they've been on for aobut 3 years and are in great shape. If i did it again i'd get the rubber
..cheers

I have run stock, poly, and rubber. Trashed them all at one time or another but hands down the best over all is the Bombproof Rubber mounts. More vibes than stock but much less than Poly :shiver: .
The M.O.R.E. Bomb proof rubber mounts have held up better than any other mount I have ever used.

Bones :skull1:

GaryE, aka Lazy Gary, of this BBS, made some. Maybe he'll chime in here.

CRASH

Don't think I'm interested in trying to fab motor mounts when I'm not doing some exotic transplant.
So far I'm leaning real hard toward the MORE rubber mounts - any other suggestions?
(and Thanx!)
:shiver: - nice use of this guy, Bones!
makes me think of poly motor mounts at Winterfest!

4 years with the MORE mounts on mine. look as good as new. Currie makes them as well and so does Rusty's. But if I did it again, MORE would be the ticket. Juice

I put in a set of the MORE BombProofs a year ago. Expensive, but I'll never have to worry about them, and I can rebuild them for the price of a pair of LCA bushings.

OTOH, you can buy several sets OEM style mounts for one pair of MOREs.

ChiXJeff

Here's another vote for MORE. Get the tranny mount too. I did both the engine and tranny mounts and the difference is amazing. A friend of mine that also has a 5 speed XJ drove mine and now he's all about getting the MORE mounts. Also the :shiver: soften up after a while. Definately gives then Jeep a stronger, more stable feel.

I've got the M.O.R.E. torsion rubber mounts, they're great. And they do soften up after a while, you barely notice them.

I'm sold

I have a set of MORE's rubber mounts on their way to me now. I'll likely do the tranny mount at some point in the future, too (seein' as how I sorta caught it a little bit on fire when loosening the t-case with the ol' blue-tip wrench) but money is too tight right now.
Thanx for all the input guys!
:worship:

Hate to rain on the aftermarket parade, but my stock ones lasted for 10 years before needing replacement.

20 bones a side.

John

So did mine - 10 years and 235k hard miles. But given the choice I'll usually go for the "heavier-duty" option. We'll see in a few years if I think this one was worth it . . . .

I'm in the same boat. Needing some new mounts to deal with the D300 and all the added torque of the 4:1. So the consensus is that MORE Bombproof mounts are the way to go?? I'm almost leaning toward poly to take out the twisting, but dont want to get shaken to death.

MountaineerMac said:
I'm in the same boat. Needing some new mounts to deal with the D300 and all the added torque of the 4:1.

:confused:

Are you referring to a 4:1 transfer case ratio? If anything, that would reduce the stress imposed on motor mounts, not increase it. More gear means the engine has to do less work to transmit the same amount of torque to the rear wheels. ("Mechanical advantage")

Heck, I wore out my mounts with a built 2.5L. When I went to a 4.7L stroker, MORE was the only choice if I wanted to handle the torque.

Eagle said:
:confused:

Are you referring to a 4:1 transfer case ratio? If anything, that would reduce the stress imposed on motor mounts, not increase it. More gear means the engine has to do less work to transmit the same amount of torque to the rear wheels. ("Mechanical advantage")

Eagle,

Just a thought....

What about "for every action there's an opposite and equal reaction"?

I would tend to think that if the driveshaft has greater torque because of the lower gearing, it would also have greater *opposite rotation* (for lack of a better term) from the t-case forward. Example; if the rear tires were wedged between a rock (I forget what these rock things are that people keep refering to) and couldn't rotate at all, that 4 to 1 torque would be going forward, twisting on the t-case, tranny and motor, with that same increased torque, correct? I think that with the lower gears and more torque it goes both ways on the drivetrain.

But I Ain't fer sure!! Thoughts?

Back