• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door wont open

M. Lake

NAXJA Forum User
My drivers side door wont open, from inside or out. Can I pull the pannle off from inside and open it? Fells like the mechinism is not working, but not sure. I had it up on blocks and the door would not open and the back latch would not shut, it is back down and the door opened once and not again.

I would try to remove the panel with the interior handle first. I only have experience with my 89, but this may be helpful. I think there are 3 screws you need to remove. Once you take them out, the panel should come out of the door, but there are 2 arms that connect to the lock button and the door handle that can be a PITA to deal with. Use a small screwdriver, or a pick. Have patience with the clips. They are tough plastic, but they can cause a lot of headaches. Once that panel is out of the way, try to pull on the arms. One of them goes from the handle to the opening mechanism. It may have come off, but you might be able to open the door by pulling on it. If that doesn't work, take the 2 large philips screws out of the bottom of the armrest, and rotate it up 90 degrees. The armrest should pull straight out, then. I am not sure if you will have enough room inside with the door closed to pop all of the push clips, and remove the door panel. If you can get it off, you may be able to reach into one of the holes to try to actuate the opening mechanism. We are talking very tight quarters, here. Good Luck.;)

Back