• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stronger aftermarket 29spline 8.25 shafts

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
still shopping around for full widths. in the meanwhile I just ordered a new set of 37" SSRs, my 8.25 has held up quite well with with 35" SSRs, and I definatley dont wanna be cought out on the trail with a broken shaft and no spares, so my question is what are my options for stronger shafts?

I beleive Moser Engineering is one of the few who have them for the 8.25".

Dutchman can make that shaft for you. The last set of C-clips shafts I ordered from them were $250 a pair to my door.

They are about 35% stronger than stock.

You are a brave man running that combo.

CRASH

couldnt find the shafts on mosers website, dutchman a company or a guy or what?

I Think you will be fine until you go full width I run 35s on the 27 spline 8.25 I would think that would be the equal to running 37s on the 29 spline but that is just a guess If I were you I would just try to find a stock spare. Although I know there are a few people on here who dont agree with alot of my opinions.

azxjman said:
I Think you will be fine until you go full width I run 35s on the 27 spline 8.25 I would think that would be the equal to running 37s on the 29 spline but that is just a guess If I were you I would just try to find a stock spare. Although I know there are a few people on here who dont agree with alot of my opinions.

5 Days and counting to show us! :D

hinkley

See you there!

Crick on this: URL=Dutchman]http://www.dutchmanms.com/[/URL]

CRASH

Guess I'm overkill running alloys with my 33s:D

Mine are Yukon.... well they are supposed to be, I didn't put them in :anon: swapped em when I got my gears done.

While we're on this topic, lets say I did manage to break one.....
how the heck would I get the inner part of the break out? I know I can pull the outer part out (assuming it stays in) but what about the inner part? Remive diff cover, pull carrier?

Also, what should I be carrying to go with my spare shaft? Bearings, RTV, etc?

You'll need to pull the cover, rotate the diff until the C-clips are accessable, pull the clip on the broken side, and then slide the broken stub out. Sometimes they are kind of stubborn, as the splines usually twist and bind right at teh carrier. A pry bar is helpful to pop the broken stubby piece out. NOw you've got to fish it out of the tube somehow. Most guys (including me) carry a telescoping magnet to retrieve the stub from the tube.

Also, it's advisable to carry a spare C-clip or two.

CRASH

CRASH said:
NOw you've got to fish it out of the tube somehow. Most guys (including me) carry a telescoping magnet to retrieve the stub from the tube.

CRASH

Easiest method of using a telescoping magnet I've found is to put it inside a PVC pipe or other non-metallic tube. Keeps the magnet from grabbing the axle tube and being a royal PITA. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
Easiest method of using a telescoping magnet I've found is to put it inside a PVC pipe or other non-metallic tube. Keeps the magnet from grabbing the axle tube and being a royal PITA. ;)

Have you had a shaft break on an 8.25?

Thanks for the good advice guys. I've been wondering about that for a while.

So shaft "quick change" list is:
Telescoping magnet or mag in end of pole
C clips (I assume I can just pull some from a junker in a parts yard, or should I get new ones each time I change em?)
RTV
sockets to pull cover
pry bar
picks/screwdrivers to get c clip off
asprin
bandaids
earmuffs for the kids :D

what about bearing? My spares are just the shafts right now....

LOCKED UP said:
what about bearing? My spares are just the shafts right now....

The bearing is completely contained in the axle tube, when you pull the shaft out, that's all there is too it, just the bare shaft.

Ary

I personally have seen two 8.25 axleshafts break both were stock one was a 29 spline with 33s and one was a 27 spline with 31s both broke for no reason at all just doing mild wheeling.

I have a set of Dutchmans for my 8.25 29spline...but they must be rotten:D They don't go into the splines in the locker or the Spider Gears...

Ary'01XJ said:
The bearing is completely contained in the axle tube, when you pull the shaft out, that's all there is too it, just the bare shaft.

Ary

Well thats gotta make it a big PITA to fish broken shaft parts out of there then..... or is the bearing easy to get out?

The bearing is NOT easy to pull out, but it's not very hard to get the stub out. The bearing rides on a shoulder on the axle that is about 50% larger than the splined end, hence the broken stub can slip right out with little problem.

Now if you really shatter a shaft good, it can be fun getting the fragments out. Not.

CRASH

Back