• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Knuckle Fixes/upgrades

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
One of the threaded holes on my right-side knuckle is stripped. It's one of the ones that the brake caliper bolts into. I don't think you can drill and tap because the bolt has to fit through the caliper. Is there some way to fix this without replacing the knuckle? If I have to replace the knuckle, are there stronger aftermarket ones available?

Use a Heli-coil!

xj92 said:
One of the threaded holes on my right-side knuckle is stripped. It's one of the ones that the brake caliper bolts into. I don't think you can drill and tap because the bolt has to fit through the caliper. Is there some way to fix this without replacing the knuckle? If I have to replace the knuckle, are there stronger aftermarket ones available?
A heli-coil works well, or I have a set of outer knuckles for sale.

they will bolt right up, but you'll need to get the whole brake set-up as well (discs, calipers). can you still fit 15" wheels over the WJ brakes?

xj92 said:

D30 knuckles are easy to get, just replace it.

You should be able to get another knuckle for under $100, which is your best option. As a short term fix, you may be able to drill out the 13mm hole to the next larger english bolt size (5/16?). I can't remember the correct size, but the new bolt will need to fit through the caliper. I only reccomend this as a trail fix, as the new threads are just not going to be very tight, and will strip out very easily. Still, it got me home from CO to OR last summer.

dennisuello said:
they will bolt right up, but you'll need to get the whole brake set-up as well (discs, calipers). can you still fit 15" wheels over the WJ brakes?

Nope, not really. You'll need to grind off part of the calipers to fit 15" wheels. I would really suggest changing to 16" at the same time. Mark H did do a write up on this mod http://www.orgsmfg.com/project/WJKnuckle.htm

(Mark - hope you don't mind me posting that)

I found some used ones for $40 at a yard and off of JU. If I can find a really good price on a new one I'd do that, otherwise I'll just get one from a local yard with a 30-day warranty to make sure all the threads are good this time.

Back