• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

April get together--Uwharrie

Georgia Mike

NAXJA Forum User
Who's up for a little ride at Uwharrie in April? :eyes: ME!! :eyes: Who else??? I'm sure Woody would let us all crash at his place,RIGHT WOODY :laugh: ? Any proposed dates? Just about any Saturday will be good for me,how about everyone else? Glenn,are you finally gonna drag the Ghost out to play or what?? :D

Uwharrie sounds good to me!

It opens up on Tuesday the 1st, and I see playing hookey that afternoon if I can get my chainsaw running by then. :dunno: always got the bushaxe, but that's too much like work.

Any weekend is fine for me, other than the 25th when we have a date in MetroLanta for a Jeep Show.

My shack on the hill is a little far from the trails (40 miles) but y'all welcome just the same. 3.5 acres in paradise and the copperheads might not be stirred up yet ;)

Lemme know!

I'm up for a ride in Uwharrie,haven't been there in several years,
Just can't go on the 12th or 13th, but would love to go.
Just let me know and I'm there.
We'll see if we CAN NOT tear off a fender flare this time;) Ha, Ha.

OK,I forgot about the show :doh: Mark's out for the 12th-13th,let's make it for Saturday the 19th then. I've got the Friday of that week off (Good Friday) anyway,so that works out great for me. Plus that'll give the returning-to-the-trails crowds a couple of weeks to die down a bit. That set it for everyone?

P.S.--Can someone please get a good action shot for me and post it on here from this trip? I REALLY need a better avitar:rolleyes:but sadly,that's the only pre-selected one that fits my personality (not being pretentious:anon:just being funny:laugh: )

Last edited:
Although I would love to go I have an Xj to regear and other things that need to be done before the show...

Sounds good to me,
which camp ya'll staying at?
The one on the lake is primative
and the other has a
$385,000.00 BATH HOUSE
Then you have the group camp
and the hunt camp.
Just let me know and I'll
see you there.

I would like to go see what all the fuss about Uwharrie is but that's a little close to ERoCC for me. I'll probably be too caught up with last minute preparations to make this trip. We have a two month lay off between the first and second competitions though so I would be willing to ride in May if we can get something together. If enough people want to ride in Monteagle I'd be glad to line something up. I have plans to attempt to get my Heep up Rattlerock sometime when it's good and dry around May if anyone wants to ride in Windrock. Just let me know. I plan on doing alot of wheeling this summer, it would be nice to get a group of regulars together this summer.

OK,I've never been, either. But I figured it's a straight shot up I-85 for me,so what the heck?:D Let's do it! Someone chime in here and offer up some good meeting places to choose from,as I know nothing about the area at all. I guess we'll just go with the ol' standard 9:00-9:30 AM meet up time:)

Carpenter,if you wanna get something lined up for Windrock next month,that's cool with me! I'd like to try that place out,too! Let's shoot for middle to end of May if that's doable for you. Keep us posted!:peace:

Hey Mike, once you get to Charlotte you can take either
HYW 49 or 24.
24 leads to Troy,NC, then you would go north on 109
49 takes you more north to 109 then go south on 109
I never been on 24 but 49 is pretty good HYW
Might ask woody he probably could tell us the best road
to take.

Well damn! It's kinda far just for "trail riding", but I might be there. I seriously doubt we'll be doing any welding this trip, but it might be fun anyway. Where's it at anyhow?

Hey,Dale! I was beginning to wonder when you were gonna chime in! Uwharrie is about 40 miles east of Charlotte,NC.

What are the trail difficulty ratings there? I've heard there's everything from dirt roads to some extreme areas. Woody? Fill us in!

Uwharrie NF is off NC Hwy 109 north of Troy/south of Denton/on the east shore of Badin Lake. If I were coming north from Atlanta or points south, I'd take 85N through/past Charlotte and get off at Concord NC (Hwy 29/601 exit# 58) take 601S to 49N, to 109 south. Or for you TN/NC mountain folks, 40E (I usually get off in Mocksville and take 64E exit 168 down twds Lexington & home, but 'on paper' it looks like 77S out of Statesville and across maybe better? )

We should probably meet up at the Eldorado Outpost on Hwy 109 (say 9-10am?) It's got lots of room to park, and has the last gas & snacks near the trailhead.

Anyway here's an area map, with some suggested routes.

5Uwharrie_directions-med.JPG

And a trail map (it's missing daniel Trail, which runs from the parking area at FR #555 the 'river road' up the mountain to the east segment of Rocky Mount Loop trail

5Uwharriemap1-med.gif

Daniel and Rocky Mount are fairly rough, as is Dutch John. The rest arent too bad, but we'll run through them either Tues Aft or this weekend for up-to-date ratings with 31x9.50 TSL

remember with these 'ratings' to consider the source :viking:

A link to Uwharrie NF, with descriptions of the facilities:

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm

The Arrowhead CG is the closest to the OHV trails, and has 'modern' shower and toilets; The Badin Lake CG and the Group Camp area is more private, but primitive. We'd need a reservation if we wanted one of the Group Camp sites.

$5 per day to trailride, and camping out there is free, but somewhat aggravating with quads & other 4x4 folks 24/7, plus the potential to be less secure if one left camp set up to wheel.

No alchohol sold nearby or allowed in the NF trails or CGs. The Eldorado Outpost is 'dry' so pack it in from up the road if you need any. It is a $5 per beer fine IIRC, so don't be blatant or piss off the Rangers ;)

I'm supose to go the weekend of the 26th....

Just came in here to post and see who would be up for it. My local budies are going the weekend of the 26th I believe.

Back