• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Flange FYI

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93' with a 4.0 HO engine, I had an oil leak right at where the oil filter flange and engine block meet. I found that the standard t-60 Torx does not fit. I did find that a 14mm hex does.

Here's some pic's

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

As you notice I had to cut the end of the allen wrench off and then used a 3/8" breakerbar with a cheater pipe. I found the allen online for like $4.00 with shipping it was like $10. I just search for 14mm hex or allen on google.

I did find that Northern Tool has a whole set for $13, but it is tight and you may have to use a pair of vice-locks.

thanks for the tip, i'll be doing that in the spring i think.... one question though... what does the "lady of the house" thik of you using the washer as a workbench??
:D
mike

I've been trying to get that bolt out myself...how the heck did you do it? It seems that mine is permanently attached to the block! :mad:

Any tips?

use a pipe wrench and a "force multiplier.

Just went thru this same ordeal the other day on my 91. Of course the dealer gave me the WRONG O-ring set the first time around. Kinda hard to drive to the dealer when your oil filter adapter is laying on the bench. :mad: Phil

Anyone have the correct part number for the o-ring set, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L, AW4, NP242?

I just want to make sure the dealer didn't mess up...

Thanks

I was curious so I called the dealer to find out how much this would cost to get fixed...they quoted $120 parts and labor. DAMN!

He said that on some models you have to remove the engine mount. Does anyone know on what models/years this is necessary??

It's not really the engine mount as one of the bolts to the engine mount bracket. It's really easy to change, I know that sucker is in there pretty tight, but once you get it out just have a drip pan ready.

I also had to tighten up my wifes which is a 93' with no drop brackets, it's a bit harder to get at. I was able to get a wrench from above on hers.

Just make sure you are turn the wrench the right way. Things can get mixed up when your not able to look directly at the bolt you are after. :)

XJCHUCK72 said:
Pancake

Heck, your just in San Jose, make a trip to Fresno. Then it will only cost you about a tank of gas. :D

Fresno??? EWWWWW!!

I'm kidding...I have relatives that live there, I like it. :)

I might have some help here in San Jose, but I'll keep your offer in mind. I really appreciate it!

Back