• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Shortage

ec_3000

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone else out there have a problem with a power drain on their electrical equipment. If my stereo is on and I turn on my a/c the stereo gets staticy. I've already put a new battery and a mean green 140 amp alternator on it and the problem still occurs.

year? Other options?
Maybe some bad wires, loose ground, or some wires are touching somewhere. Check wires around battery and the stereo head unit.

On mine, I cant run my stereo + lights + vents or my volts drop too low, but I think thats b/c of my alt.....

Have you upgrade any of your wireing in the jeep. the wire from the alt to the bat is very small and just upgrading that while using the stock alt is a big diffrence.

I'd be sure to add an additional ground cable from the battery to the chasis as well. The factory circuit has all grounds passing through the connector on the engine block and high power accessories can create a choke point. Therefore an additional ground path from the chasis, where the accessories are grounded, can help out a lot.

Don't forget to change the engine-firewall braided ground (that thing sux!) and tie the alternator case to earth as well. There is a threaded hole on the back of the alternator for just that purpose, and use a cable when you change the firewall ground...

5-90

interference

if your power from the a/c and the power from your stereo run close to each other, the magnetic fields from the lines can cause interference on the stereo, resulting in the static you're describing. If the stereo is aftermarket, this is a good possibility. If you're worried about voltage levels, upgrading the wiring (like everyone else said) or going with a better battery (Yellow Top Optima) is a good choice...

You could also try an RFI filter like the ones they use for onboard communications in rally cars. I picked one up for under $15.00 for my XJ, but never got to use it since I bought a daily driver a couple days after the order arrived.

Back