• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 Lift

Gr8XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi
Finally got the bolts for the leafs undone and every thing else unbolted. My next problem is the order of reassembly. Do I bolt the leaves in first and then locate the axle? Also I trashed one of the forward bolts that holds the leaf on, would a grade 8 bolt the same length work or should I order a new one from the dealer?
I really apreciate the help I'm getting and am almost glad I decided to do this myself.

You'll definitely need to put the leaves in first because it is hard enough to wrestle them in place as it is, you wouldn't want the axle attached. Because the springs are nice and new, you'll have to flex them to get the holes to line up. I had someone help me out with this. I found that bolting the rear end (at the shackle) first and then to the frame rail next worked best. I tried it the other way around to no avail. Once you get the leaves in you're golden as far as assembling the rest of the rear.
Here's some tips for the front if you haven't done that yet. I had to unbolt the upper control arms from the axle in order for it to droop low enough to replace the coils. I had the problem that the axle rotated some during this procedure so when I went to assemble, the holes wouldn't line up. I was by myself at this point so I used a ratcheting tow strap to rotate it into place.
Good luck. You'll will have learned a lot when you're finished.
-footdale

Back