• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Dana 60 locker

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what the best rear locker would be. I am running a 60 in the back and Drive my jeep to school everyday. What is the best locker for a DD and a weekend brute. I was looking at ARB air lockers and would go with then besides the fact you have to buy the compressor and switches. I was also looking at detroits electrac and Thought of sticking that in. My ratio is 4.88. My third choice was a full time locker from detroit and if that is not the best I dea I would go to a limited slip.

Can someone tell me exactly how a limited slip locker works?

Help me out here, I am almost done rebuilding my front 44 and have it ready to go.

A limited slip is not a locker. It's better than nothing though.

Anything selectable is probably what you're going to want for your 60. You need to fill us in on what kind of driving/ weather conditions you'll be going through to say whether or not a detroit is going to be a good choice or not. Typically you need to learn how to drive a detroit in the rain/ snow. It's not that big of a deal though once you know it's back there.

Sean

Nik said:

Can someone tell me exactly how a limited slip locker works?

They dont:D

I run a detroit full locker in my DD toyota, mild increased tire ware, no bad habbets on the street. In 6 months it has done the loud CLUNK the new Detroit soft lockers dont do this but are just as much the same locker...

I run a full welded spool in my trail cherokee. CHEEP, more predictable then a detroit, increased tire ware. My d70 has only been on for 400 miles but my d35 with 32in BFG muds I ran about 400miles on it. The front tires were aobut 60% tread and the rears were like 10% tread but had full 60% tread on the side lugs..

On my current set up Im runnign a set of cheep 37s on back to burn up on the street then swap to my better tires for trails. keep the balder street tires as my wheelin spares...

Dont get a lim slip, and I see no reason to get a OX, ARB, or electrac... get two detroits one for the 60 one for the d44.

Put a spool in it. Less than half the cost of a detroit and twice as reliable. I know some of you don't feel a spool is streetable, but I've run both, and broken multiple detroits, and a spool is WAY more predictable on the street thet the auto lockers.

Flame away,
Dan

That's the first time I've heard about "multiple" broken Detroits, at least in a D60 behind a 4.0. I have a Detroit in by rear 60 with about 50,000 miles on it now and I have no complaints. It's a daily driver and I wheel it about 4-5 times a year. A spool would be more reliable with zero moving parts. If you want to talk about cost, toast one set of tires and you've paid for the locker.
The loading and unloading is there, but it doesn't bother me.
mattk

All the detroits I broke were in a CJ2A, stock 350, D44. It probably wouldn't be a problem in a D60, but I was PO'd at the time. I built a D60, 35 spline axles and a spool, and have had zero problems, and it had better manners than the detroits ever did.

Sorry I wasn't specific in the application, but I hope it helped anyway.

Dan

I really havn't looked up much on lockers so far and was just openin the can. I live at about 7500 ft in Colorado and we get a 4 ft dump once and a while and a few 2 foot snowfalls each winter and the lplowmen are lazy up here too. I drive on the road a bit but I go up our trails up herman every weekend usually.

Explaina spoool too me and how eatly it works. I'm thinking thats the way to go. I wish I could try to compromise some of the tire wear thats why I liked the electrac or ARB. I run 29.5's and they are the sof rubber and I wouuld like to keep them somewhat unbald:), I have a spare set of tire for the trail though so I really dont know, I just don't want to blow through tires easily. I am not gonna lock the front though due to it not really being an all time trail rig. I turn a lot daily:) I like the electrac in the rear though, any thoughts for it?

THanks nik

Any thought on the electrac to spare them tires:)

My friend loves the ARB's but they are way to damn exspensive for me

Hard installs on lockers?

Enlighten me:)

Thnaks again

Nik

A spool is a machined piece of steel with a flange to bolt the ring gear to, and splines for the axles. No moving parts, direct drive like a go kart. Don't have any personal experience with the electrac. Looks good, and you don't have to rely on o-rings and air pressure to keep it engaged. Ox lockers are supposed to work well to.

You have a Dana 60 with 29.5 inch tires??? You could plant corn everywhere you go with that set up!! LOL

Hope you get your pros and cons weighed out....

Dan

haha:)

My bad bro it was a typo 39.5's

I will look into the ox lockers too.

I was just wondering if anybody was runnning an electrac or knew anything about them

Thanks for the help

Nik

Back