• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Question??

GA MIKE XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on lifting my 95 XJ 4.5-5.5" but I have an NP242 Select-trac T-Case. I've read that there are no SYE for the NP242. What should I do?
Thanks,
Mike

Tom Woods makes the closest thing that you can get to an H.D. SYE that you can get for the 242. That's what I'm looking into.

As far as I know, the Woods kit is the same kit as the ORGS, which used to be made/sold by Currie. Someone chime in if this isn't correct. Also, no one makes a 242/HD, they're all using stock shafts.

Do you really need an SYE? Or have you been told you must have an SYE?

Not recommending anything, but you can run 5 or 6" of lift without having a SYE. Heck you can even run 8" without an SYE.

And if you are not too stupid with the skinny pedal, a 242 can handle 35's or bigger. Some fools even run 38's with a 242 and no SYE, but they tend to be from waaaay south and are not known for being sensible. :D :D

Tom Wood get my vote.

This came up awhile back.The only version you can purchase as a readily available is the "modified" stock type.Now,there is supposed to be a couple other HD shafts from the Hummer that fit!

Currie, Tom Woods are to two main ones. there both about the same.

MJR has made an HD 242 setup but it is still a slip yoke right now.

mark
orgs mfg

Hey,

I put a Tom Woods sye kit in my 242 and have had no problems. You do not have to drop the case to do it. It was the first time I had even done anything this advanced and I didn't have any problems, except I used the wrong sealant for the main case, the stuff he sends in NOT for the main case it is only for the rear output shaft seals, (not that it said that in the instrustions)

Good price, great service and a solid investment. Oh yea now I can say "I have a Woody" any time I want.
Heres some other instructions I used, http://www.polytropia.com/cherokee/sye.html

Later

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm gonna go check out the Tom Woods kit. I don't know about not using an SYE at all, since this is going to be my daily driver I do not want vibes. I'm pretty sure this would become an issue at 5.5" of lift. I had considered using just an extended yolk, but I dont think that would change any of the angles which cause the vibes. Has anyone had any experience with just an extended yolk at approx. 5.5" lift.
Thanks again,
Mike

Back