• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Control Lights

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
On my 96 the lights for the heater controls, cigarette lighter and rear wiper don't work. Are all these on the same fuse? Could it just be a fuse. Didn't even get time to check yet. Any info? THANKS, NICK

On mine I couldn’t figure out why mine didn’t work final found that the light socket had fallen out in the back.

On my now gone 96 XJ, the heater control bulb was burnt out, the rear defrost light that lights up when headlights are on was burnt out, the cigarette outlet light, burnt out, the 4WD shifter lever bulb, burnt out, the glove box bulb, burnt out. one dome light bulb was also bad. This was when I first got it. I checked any related fuses and found them to be ok.

I'd remove components and check the bulbs themselves.

Teron

Did you find the problem? (2)

But all these lights went out together, after no problems. I don't think they're burnt out. If so - something caused them to all go out together.

Stephen.

I would check the bulbs either way, all it takes is a little power surge, or a sharp bump and the filaments will break real easy, I had my heater control, and wiper fail at the same time (speed bump and they went dark!) I thought it was a fluke and I had knocked a wire off or something, upon further inspections, both bulbs just simply went out! Autozone has the bulbs and they're real cheap

Bulb is #74

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My heater core started leaking while my '96 XJ was still under warranty. The stealership grumbled and then repaired it. They said they put in a new core. Anyhow, after that the heater control panel light operated intermittently. When I whack it really hard with the side of my fist, it comes back on. I hate the stealership.

For those who read this later - the bulbs WERE burned out. I now really appreciate how easy it is to remove the fascia over the XJ instruments/ radio/ heater and access them!

Stephen.

Back