• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

take a leaf out

00xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

2000xj, 65k, sye, 6 degree shims, RE 3.4 Super Duty, Dlack Dimond Hydo Shocks,

The rear of my Xj rides like the springs are frozen solid. 95% of my driving is on the road and the rest is two tracks, when ever I go over a rock,log, bump my the rear end makes a huge boom/bang sound when I drop off the bump. It doesn't have to be a big bump, one the way to work I go over a bridge and every time I cross the expansion joints it's like an earth quake in the rear. It sounds like ths springs are getting compressed then relased really fast.

Can I take out the shortest leaf to soften the ride? I'm a little high in the back so it would help level me out. Will it effect my driveling angles?

Any thoughts?

the springs are 6 months old, now I have not put any weight in the back, I have flexed them a little, no to much, just a trip to the dunes.

If some weight will help how much? 150lbs?

thanks

A couple of other thoughts:

1) Check the length on your rear shocks. If the shocks are too long, they will bottom out before the suspension. Makes the sort of noise you describe, and will eventually destroy the shocks -- they are not intended to serve as bump stops.

2) With the vehicle at rest, where are your shackles pointing? (Forward, straight up and down, or to the rear?) The stock setup has the shackles pointed to the rear because the spings are flat -- any compression or droop will pull the shackles forward, and they have plenty of range to swing through. Lift springs are arched. When you compress, the shackles need to swing to the rear. If they are already pointed at the rear, they can't swing and the spring binds up. If that's what's happening, removing a leaf can't help you.

What Eagle said plus,what springs and shackles are you running.Remove the lower shock mounts and do a test drive.BDS has been known for being harsh!

Ok, you DO need to check the shock length but it's more likely that they are too SHORT and are topping out when the suspension unloads which will lead to a really crappy ride. Been there, done that.

Take the rear shocks off & drive it. It may be a little bouncy but at less that freeway speeds it's ok. (I drove mine quite a few times at 8" lift 35s no swaybars with busted rear shocks/mounts at freeway speeds)

Find a loading ramp or other sufficient obstacle and drive the FRONT up on the obstacle until your rear tire on the same side lifts off the ground.

Measure the distance between your upper & lower shock mounts on BOTH sides.

Compare these "ideal" measurements with what your shocks actually are, and go from there.

vintagespeed said:
Ok, you DO need to check the shock length but it's more likely that they are too SHORT and are topping out when the suspension unloads which will lead to a really crappy ride. Been there, done that.

Hahahahah.
I just took off the rear shock from the axle. Is it bad if the shock only extends 1/4 of a inch lower than the stud it was mounted to? :confused: I 'm not kidding it literaly would only come down 1/4 of an inch.
Looks like I'm getting a new set of rear shocks. Any recommendations?
When the Jeep is at rest shouldn't the shock be resting at the midpoint of its travel?

Eagle, my shackle is pointed just slightly towards the rear, it's just a little off of straight down, 1/2 off maybe, is that o.k?

Thanks for the great tips guys, I'm sure with some new rear shocks and a little flexing it will be much better.

Somene asked, my springs are RE3.5 super duty, with stock shackles, and Black DImond Hydro shocks)

Tom:thumbup:

00xj said:
When the Jeep is at rest shouldn't the shock be resting at the midpoint of its travel?

Yes

Eagle, my shackle is pointed just slightly towards the rear, it's just a little off of straight down, 1/2 off maybe, is that o.k?

Try disconnecting both rear shocks and then bounce up and down on the rear bumper -- or get your biggest, beefiest pal to do it while you sit in the driver's seat. That should tell you if the suspension is binding up. Ideal would be to have the shackles straight up and down, I think, but the real key is whether or not they swing all the way back and hit the back of the "box" when the suspension compresses. If they don't hit, they're fine. If they hit -- that could be the (or a) source of your rough rider syndrome.

Shackle position sounds ok, it will actually settle further back once the springs settle in a bit. Mine sit a little more than that to the rear. Like Eagle said, as long as they dont hit the box at full stuff you're ok.

A cheaper option if you have a friend who welds is to cut the rear shock mounts and raise them. This will alleviate the short shock problem and will help out a ton with clearance if you ever go offroading around rocks.

Hi all

I just put in a set of Monroe Gas-Matic LT (59306) they are for a 92 Commanche and they are great. No more bashing and banging. These shocks have lots of travel. My rear shackle is fine and does not hit the back of the box. I took Eagle's advice and followed this link, wow super helpful.

"Ed Stevens has a list of shock lengths and cross-applications on his personal web site. It's the best discussion of this I have seen.
http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp1.html"

Thanks Ed and Eagle and everyone else in that gave advice in this thread, I like my Jeep a little more now. Now it's just entend the bumpstops a bit and I'm all set.

Tom

Back