• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross Drilled Rotors.....

Do you wheel or is this for a street jeep?

Honestly, there are no benefits offered by Crossdrilling that Slotting does not provide...and slots don't crack or craze.

going downhill for a long period would be one benefit

Longer life for pads, less chance of glazing

I plan on 80% DD and 20% off road. The off road part will be mud, small-medium rocks, deep ruts and fairly steep hills.

The debate between cross drilled and slotted as I see them are thus:

Stock XJ rotors:
Pros: Came with Jeep (no additional cost)
Cons: Too many to list all. Very prone to warping and have extreme fade during off roading

Cross Drilled:
Pro: Provides better cooling and allows gas buildup to escape
Cons: Prone to cracking if not made well

Slotted: Provides better cooling and allows gas buildup to escape
Cons: Slots can act as blades eating through pads quickly

My plan is to buy Brembo, due to their known quality, cross drilled rotors since they will out perform the stock rotors and won't eat through pads as quickly as slotted. What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has used them and if they are prone to cracking?

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming.

THE_OWL said:
going downhill for a long period would be one benefit

Longer life for pads, less chance of glazing

Not so much.

The cross drilling is to allow gas to escace like slotted...but they crack.

Rapid cooling and heating is actually what destroys rotors...
This is why race teams go through way more rotors when running prectice/shakedown laps....they are constantly bringing the car into the pits and adjusting or fixing/tweaking and the brakes cool way down.

In races they survive better actually...

You DO want to cool your brakes, but it's more important to vent the gasses. Slotting does this better than crossdrilling.

Crossdrilling was used by the Porsche Cup teams back in the day...now you'll notice their works cars have slotted non-drilled rotors (yet the cars in the showroom have the crossdrilled badboys...Why you ask? Same reason you think you want crossdrilled rotors on your XJ or street car...they sell).

Run what you like, and if you insist on drilled rotors I suggest looking into DBA rotors.

race teams go through way more rotors when running prectice/shakedown laps....

(yet the cars in the showroom have the crossdrilled badboys...

I think that says it best. Production street cars have Drilled. Like Vettes etc. And race vehicles have slotted
Race applications DO have rapid heating and cooling that street driving or wheeling may not see.

Less filling...! Tastes great...!

This debeat about cross drilled and slotted rotors is like talking politics or religions, everyone has their own opinions and whether or not they are needed or if they help.

I purchased a set of cross drilled rotors because after going to 33s, the braking went to s***. My old rotors where not that old and had newer pads. When I put the cross drilled on, I noticed a great improvement over the stock rotors and the overall braking improved. The brakes do not fade away now when coming to a stop going down hill. By fade I mean the pedal pressure stays the same, whereas before the pedal would get soft and continue to go down as the brakes got warmer. Could I have gotten the same result using slotted? Probably, and I think I will try them next time if that time comes. I am happy that I went with these rotors and time will tell if they last or not.

I've run Powerstop slotted rotors with Performance Friction carbon metallic pads for 64k miles. I just replaced the pads last month. They looked good, lasted a while, IMO. I thought the slots would chew them up quicker, but it was a non-issue.
The rotors are really tough. I turned them for the hell of it, but they really didn't wear or have any odd spots on them at all. At the rate they're wearing, 150k out of them should be easy.
I'd recommend them.

dennisuello said:
did you also replace the pads at the same time?

Yes, I did. My old rotors had about 20,000 on them and my pads only had about 10,000. The brake fade is less now then when I replaced them with stock rotors and new pads with stock wheels and tires. It still doesn't stop like it did stock, but much better.

Brembo cross drilled rotors for XJ..

Originally posted by dennisuello

It looks like Brembo only makes OEM replacement rotors for Jeep and they are composite, not solid cast iron. I recall composite rotors not being as strong.

Check out this link for the Brembo cross drilled rotors for XJ.
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/37041

They are composite and not cast iron. Anyone else heard of that composite rotors aren't as strong?

Thanks,

Let me add more to this soup.

Not all cross drilled rotors are made equal.

The good "cross drilled rotors" are actually not drilled at all, instead they are cast with the holes in them...these are the best as far as the holy ones go. I wonder if the Brembo drilled discs are cast by Brembo with the holes, or are modified by a third party.

Still, nowadays, cross drilling is more about the look than the performance. Slotted discs work as well if not better and dont crack. I dont think anyone in professional motorsports uses drilled rotors anymore.

XJguy

OK where does a person buy cast, slotted rotors for the XJ?

I respect the opinion of the people on this board and I've always recieved good advice. So the concensus is that cast, slotted rotors are the way to go. So where does a person buy cast, slotted rotors for the XJ? I've looked on the net and no one seems to carry them.

PS. I have a '98 XJ

Thanks,

I like the look of those SP rotors (with the rounded surface at the hole - good engineering!) the prices aren't bad, and they actually cover my 87, 88, and 89 (first ones I've found - thanks!)

PowerStop also does slotted rotors, and they are also distro-ed by TRW so they can't be too bad.

I prefer slotted over drilled simply because less material is removed and the basic plane of the rotor isn't broken, but a well-done drilled rotor gives solid service. If you spend a lot of time getting stuck on your brakes (or keep having pads shatter!) then they'll be a good help for you.

5-90

Email [email protected]

he sells tons of brake parts, and really knows what he's talking about.

I got stillen rotors and performance friction pads from him.

I am really happy with them. I replaced the stock rotors which were warped by 15k. I have over 30k on the stillens and they are great. The braking performance increased a noticable amount.

KEVIN

Back