• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

silverstar or ipf j bulb

wrink99

NAXJA Forum User
here's my question I already have the ipf h4 headlight conversion but I am wondering if I should get the ipf j bulbs for them or get a set of sylvania silverstars h4's for the lenses what do you guys think?

headlights

I have the Sylvania SilverStars, they are a nice upgrade for $40 (sealed-beam replacement). They are 4000*K in light color. They are a LOT better than the stock dull-yellow bulbs and completely srteet legal (a very,very slight bluish tinge in color).
I think it's PIAA that make a 5000*K bulb for sealed-beam conversion lights (they are ~$72 in 4wheelparts), .....this is as bright as you are going to get without going full HID $$$! Even then you will only be 5000* to 6000*K, so that is what I've seen lately.
BLUTO :)

I have the IPF Magic bulbs and love them. They are plenty bright at 55W and with the 85W highs, I have never said, I wish I had more light.

The only thing that will get you more light is MORE wattage. It's that simple.

Jeep Biscuit said:
The only thing that will get you more light is MORE wattage. It's that simple.

Actually...the HID lighting systems that you see out there (much brighter than standard halogen) use less power than your normal 55W/65W bulbs.....usually only 35W to achieve 5000*K to 6000*K light intensity. The *K relates to the "color" or intensity of natural daylight. Standard halogen lights are around ~3000*K and can't hold a candle :D to a good Xenon bulb of the same wattage, when it comes to seeing things clearly at night.

BLUTO :)

With my Hella E-code (NOT Xtra Vision) H4 conversion lenses, I have used stock 60w-55w, 100w-80w and 130w-90w (Halogen bulbs) as well as the Magic J IPF and 60-55 Hella Xenons.

The Js and the Xenons were good, nice 'white' light, the 130-90s were great but I blew one running both hi & low on at the same time, and have more or less settled on 100w-80w halogens as a compromise for cost vs good bulb life. The Js were long lived, but were $70 pr vs the $25/pr for 100-80 or 60-55 Hella.

YMMV and I think it's the lens pattern that makes the biggest difference and not the bulb wattage. IMHO anything in a good lens is a huge safety upgrade over OEM sealed beams.

Back