• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need ideas for rotted out rockers

xjennyj

NAXJA Forum User
My rockers are terrible right now. So bad in fact that I can't get it inspected. The previous owner before me tried to cut them off, got halfway through, must have said to hell with it, and covered them over with tin. My idea would be to weld peices of steel on such as 2x4's Does anyone have any advice..what is the easiest fix? NAXJA

Um, Jen how many have you seen my jeep? Do exactly what I did cheap and easy. If you dont want to go through all that work use the dodge tailgate procterors, they really dont look that bad and is way easy!

If you plan to wheel your XJ hard, replacing the rockers with 2" x 4" steel tube may be a good way to go -- or it may not pass muster with your local inspectors. I don't know what they look for.

The cheapest, easiest way to get through inspection is to buy replacement rockers from J.C. Whitney. IIRC they cost less than $30 each, and can be welded in or screwed or pop rivited if you don't have a welder handy. They are lighter gauge than the OEM rockers, but well-made and appear to be a good fit.

XJHOX said:
Um, Jen how many have you seen my jeep? Do exactly what I did cheap and easy. If you dont want to go through all that work use the dodge tailgate procterors, they really dont look that bad and is way easy!

Of course, xjhox , I saw your jeep, love it, and yes I noticed the rockers...so tell me how to do it!!:D

I don't have the link anymore but was there not a guy in Germany that used 2x4 steel tube to replace perfectly good rockers. From about 2 or 3 years ago IIRC. He had that neat ripply water effect on the home page crossing a pond or river or something. I know Ivan has it squirreled away on that terbyte NAS he has just for links :D

Well 2x4 is the better option, but I used 2x2 because I had laying around. It has held the entire weight of the jeep more then a few times. Plus replacing the rockers this way there is nothing hanging down and most people that see mine dont even notice at first, even with the bar coming off the side.

hey xjhox

Steve got me steel peices sitting at his house, but we are alittle unsure of how to get them on. I ripped the tin off of the sides, and cleaned up all the loose jagged metal. We were wondering exactly how you did yours...and if you have any other advice to give before we start this thing and mess something up. Did you have to take your fenders off?

I used 2x6 to replace my rockers. Used 1/8" steel. They stick out about 2". I used angle iron welded on the bottom to keep the outside of the rail square to the body-1"x1" and welded that to the pinch seem.

fce65a45.jpg

fce65a42.jpg

fce65a48.jpg

fce65a52.jpg

Back