• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken tap... any advice?

ttboo

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm fitting my RE hack 'n' tap SYE over the weekend. Everything's gone fine - the hack went well, the drill went OK after I bought a decent bit, and the tapping was going fine, 3/4 the way in... and then the tap snapped. I was taking it nice and easy too, half-turn then backing out, proper tools, etc. As you can imagine, I'm not very happy about this... but then this damn Jeep likes taking every opportunity to kick me where it hurts.

Question is - what can I do about it? I tried center-punch with hammer to turn it out, but I'm just chipping away at the metal. Anyone got any bright ideas? Will I need to get another output shaft from somewhere?

TIA

Last one I broke I used my dremel tool and ground it out. Was much faster than the time before when I drilled, and drilled and drilled and drilled......

Sarge

I don't have any experience in the use of tap extractors, but I've broken a couple screw extractors and can't recommend their usage at all. If you break one of those, good luck drilling out hardened steel.

ttboo said:
So I'm fitting my RE hack 'n' tap SYE over the weekend. Everything's gone fine - the hack went well, the drill went OK after I bought a decent bit, and the tapping was going fine, 3/4 the way in... and then the tap snapped. I was taking it nice and easy too, half-turn then backing out, proper tools, etc. As you can imagine, I'm not very happy about this... but then this damn Jeep likes taking every opportunity to kick me where it hurts.

Question is - what can I do about it? I tried center-punch with hammer to turn it out, but I'm just chipping away at the metal. Anyone got any bright ideas? Will I need to get another output shaft from somewhere?

TIA

Jeeps, they kick my ass every time also.What a challenge, Thats why we love them !

The problem with taps, hardend steel ! Have fun. I have never used a tap extractor but things are easier with the proper tools. If anything, get some GOOD drill bits and start small drilling out then retap. Just my $.02 :)

Never used a tap extractor myself either. Get a good small punch and start wailing on it. It'll break into pieces and come right out.

Sean

A few possibles...

1) Walton Tap Extractors - available from McMaster-Carr or MSC Direct (www.mcmaster.com or www.mscdirect.com.)

2) Torch. With patience and skill, it is possible to burn out a tap without damaging the part or threads (I've done it, but it's not terribly easy..)

3) EDM. Pretty much any machine shop with EDM capabilities can burn it right out for you as well.

5-90

Thanks for the advice.

I'll think I try the tap extractor route first. Real busy at work this week, so it will have to wait till the weekend.

Cheers,

Back