• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise...don;t know what it is

XJsuperman

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a sort of squeak noise coming from the front of the XJ. Very low pitched...but a squeak none the less.
I get it while driving...pretty much from 10 MPH and up...it has gotten a little louder from the first time I heard it...but still not terribly loud and it is constant once I get rolling...nothing at idle.

I just today replaced both front hubs/bearings, front axles AND u-joints, as well as the idler/tensioner pulley. However the noise is still there.

I put up one wheel with the t-case in neutral and spun the tire and I really don;t hear anything unusual...and other than what you'd expect to hear the t-case end is silent and has no play or slop at all...so I am praying it is not the t-case or JB converison will suck down a grand of my money sooner than I'd hoped.
My next thought was pinion bearing but again...I really don;t hear anything in that area with the wheel turning..literally with my ear only inches from it. I can get into and out of 4 high and 4 low with ease under acceleration in the dirt I am not really hearing anything in low or high...so again I am hoping the t-case is ok.

My only other thoughts...powersteering pump or water pump. Neither of which I want to mess with but would gladly take BOTH over the t-case being bad.
With that said I am getting some wobble while steering at slower speeds ...say 30 MPH or less...the noise is not louder but still there and I get the wobble...steering wheel saws slightly back and forth and this is in 2wd. It also has a slight wobble at speed while driving straight. I doubt this wobble is an alignment issue as I have experienced death wobble with another XJ and this ain't it.

I am planning to pull the front driveshaft and drive without it to see if I still get noise as I presume this will make the front t-case yoke NOT spin while in 2wd since the front axle won;t be connected to it?? So I am hoping that will rule the t-case out all together if the noise is still there.

Any and all input is much appreciated

Let me know what you find out, as I am having a simliar issue, although mine is a 92. I get a whining noise from the front of the engine around 10 mph and up. But it stops at idle and won't do it in neutral while revving. I thought water pump or power steering pump, but why wouldn't it happen in neutra? I have a feeling it may have something to do with the front DS. Let me know how you make out.

Will do...seems no one on any of the boards has a clue because several folks at the 'big' jeep boards have viewed but none have answered.

I hope to pull the front DS by Wednesday of this week and will see what happens.

Jason

PS: E-mail me if you'd like [email protected] That way I'll save your message so I don;t forget to contact you.

Check the center pivot ball in your front CV driveshaft (check the rear if it is a CV driveshaft too). I just had a similar issue that I could have sworn was coming from the engine. Wouldn't do it while idling or revving the engine in Park, only while driving. Finally I was able to get a friend to drive it while I walked next to it. I could then tell that it was coming from the center of the vehicle. I started pulling the driveshafts and seeing if it still made the noise without the front or rear shaft in. It stopped when I took the rear out. The rear pivot ball in the CV joint was completely out of grease. Greasing it stopped the squeak, but the joint was destroyed. My CV joint is now being rebuilt.

Make sure you grease this joint before driving much farther so that you don't learn the same expensive lesson as me. :( You may also need a needle fitting on the end of a grease gun to grease it.

Hope this helps,

Back