• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod Ends

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have about 250,000 miles on my tie rod ends. I will be going to get an alignment next week and if I need tie rod ends, I will have them put on at that time.

I don't think that I am having problems with them, I am just concerned that if they are worn, then I should replace them as preventive maintenance.

Is there any way to tell if the ends are worn to the point that they need replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff-97XJ

One alternative is to buy the best ones you can find now, take them with you to the alignment shop. Should they need to be replaced, there is no extra down-time for them to spend the extra time to obtain them. Should you be uncertain of their adequacy after your down, and dirty inspection, having replacement parts to take with you could be useful, and if not needed after 'their in-shop inspection', you can take them back to the store for a refund. Quarter million miles on tie-rod ends seem to be a bit long in the tooth, imho.

Generally, I check to see if parts are made in near slave labor godless commie china, and refuse those. As previously mentioned the track bar could be another issue to consider, and another reason to seriously get down, and dirty to ascertain it's proper function. Feeling with one hand, and beating with a rubber mallet, and prying here, and there with a bar are useful tools whilst shouting orders to have someone turn your steering wheel back, and forth. You will see loose movements, and/or 'feel' slight movements that can reveal issues if you know what to compare to, i.e., when once new, and tight. Mechanics that do this all the time know exactly. Other than your experienced/unexperienced hands-on-techniques, just take it to the shop, and say.., "Whatever is needed, just fix it".

Back