• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my AW4 done?

pjanda1

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I figured out that answer to my question in another thread. That noise in my crankcase after an engine swap? It is something in my tranny/torque converter.

It started getting a little sluggish just a few dozen miles. As I drove the Jeep this week (25 miles each way, commuting), it got worse and worse. By Thursday on the way home it would barely climb hills. It would shift, but it just seemed like the tranny was slipping in all gears. By this morning, it got a low speed shudder. It also seems wetter than it ought to be in front of the bellhousing.

So, I think I goofed up the torque converter-pump interface when I put the engine back in. I assume I goofed up the pump. What are the odds that I could put it back together with a new pump and have it work? Do I need a new tranny? How about a torque converter?

Pulling this tranny is going to be really hard with this TNT Long Arm kit.

Paul

What is the year and mileage on the AW4?

Over the years I have been advised that if its high miles, sometimes they come apart but won't go back together. So trying to change parts is just a waste of time. May be easier to get a good one at the junk yard.

Sometimes you can pull a tranny that never leaked and when you put it back in, even correctly, the front pump seal pours like a sieve.

Did you have any problem mating the transmission to the block?

Ill take a guess and say you hit the crank position sensor while working on it. replace that first.
It will cause many. many many issues

Did you change the fluid? If yes what did you use?

What does the fluid like, is it filled to the proper level?

Flex plate bolts, TC bolts loose? Alignement of the engine-Tranny, bolt loose?

WAG but im guessing the torque converter didnt seat correctly. How did you mate the engine to the tranny??
Possibly broke the pump,hopefully not.

Good luck

Back