• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bump stop question Y2K

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, up country

rear bump stops are nonexistent. Got some cheap Crown replacements because I couldn't find what the length of the stockers was. I'll write it down and then when these go I'll know.

Question is this, my underbits don't look like any pics I can find online. Rather than the bump stop being bolted straight to the "frame" there is a U-shaped piece of metal in between. It's all rusty and crappy. Before I rip in, are those U-shaped reinforcements welded on or separate? That will determine my approach to cleaning them up. I can't take them off right now because a) I'm at the girl's place b) it's parked on the street and c) I'm supposed to be helping with dinner.

If they'll come off when I get the bolts out, I'll e-tank, zinc prime, krylon.

If they're welded on, I'm going to have to find some POR-15.

thanks!

Sounds like the rear sway bar brackets which are bolted on.

I'll have to get a pic. No rear sway.

Also: what size nutserts am I going to need? Just assuming that those bolts ain't coming out. My memory says all the front skid/xfer case skid etc. nutserts were M8 which is good, it means that I have them as I already did this dance on my '99, assuming that's the same size.

Last edited:
Those 'U' shaped things should come off when the bolts are taken out,...the are the remains of the OEM bump stop. The replacement ones I cannot help you with.

OK got it. I tried to pull one off to see yesterday because I got curious but I can't get any swing on a breaker bar without pulling a wheel, so it'll have to wait until I can get some lift time or I'm at my own place with enough time to put it up on stands. So I'm guessing I should retain the "U" things and just bolt the replacement bump stops on the bottom of it. It's just odd because searching for pics of XJ rear bump stops I haven't seen one yet with those "U" things.

The bottom support plate for the stock bumpstops are kind of indented (kind of a "U" shape but not that pronounced). The rubber is molded to the plate and then the plate is bolted to the chassis. I am going to guess this is what you are referring to. They should fall off when you take the bolts out. Throw them away. Replacement bumps will have their own plates

Back