• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My First "real" xj

Muddy98

NAXJA Forum User
Iv been lurking on these forums for the past couple years and finally decided to make a profile so i can keep track of everything iv done and going to be doing on my 1998 Cherokee.

I fell in love with xj's two years ago when i had the shittiest xj in town, bent frame rails salvaged title hideous sawzoff cuts etc. With very limited funds i set out to look for a diamond in the rough. after 6 months of looking and getting sicker and sicker of driving my chevy corsica i found one for 400$ with 160k on the odometer.

They wanted 600 because reverse was out and i was willing to pay that until the radiator cracked on the test drive... she was sittin for a little while. Being 45 mins away from town and no money to tow it i got lucky by finding some stop leak in my trunk.

The test drive was shaky and the exhaust was smacking against something on hard bumps, but the motor ran good and the doors shut like brand new. Very minimal body damage just scuffs and scratches. excellent interior and judging by the wheel wells and under-body this thing had hardly if ever been offroaded!

Fairly positive i could fix the issues i decided to take her home.

The 45 min drive home was shaky and i couldnt go above 65 without it being too much.

But here she is. iv done alot so far and these first posts will be things iv already done but for the sake of the build and story im gonna start it from when i first got it so i can include as many pics and details as possible.:wave1:

mE6ava

"Im not sure what is going on with the image trying to fix it"

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged by the lack of response but stick to your original idea & keep the updates (& piccies) coming.
thank you, i feel left out if i didnt start a build thread lol.

I'd be replacing the radiator anyway but yeah, he should flush the hell out of the motor and heater core when replacing the radiator.

yes sir, that was done the second day i got some pics im gonna put up here in a bit.

Good Luck! Keep us posted. There's a lot of help available on this forum.

thats hilarious, i called it a real one because its my baby nothing gets half assed on it or done that will compromise reliability.

my first xj was so torn up that it hurt to try and love it, lift kit? sure after i rebuild the entire suspension. header sure just need new mounts..... i ended up cutting the fenders up putting 31's and ran it into the dirt. actually it was fine when i left it to my ex...... :looney:

Back