• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with upgrading electrical system xj

JMOliver

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 xj and want to upgrade alternator and wiring, can someone tell me what alternator I need? ( wanna do around a 160amp ) and I can't find nothing on the wiring either was hoping to purchase a kit from 5-90 but seems he's no longer around from the searches I have done!

Thanks!!
JMOliver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge Durango for the alternator I believe there's a few post on here one what years you need. As far as the wiringall do you want to replace?

I ordered a 02 Durango 160 alternator this morning and 7.5' of black 2 gauge and 7.5' of red 2 gauge. Also ordered heat shrink and 10 2 gauge lugs with 3/8 holes, and a lug press tool. Just now needing to know if I need some fuses?

I ordered a 02 Durango 160 alternator this morning and 7.5' of black 2 gauge and 7.5' of red 2 gauge. Also ordered heat shrink and 10 2 gauge lugs with 3/8 holes, and a lug press tool. Just now needing to know if I need some fuses?

Yes it's very vital to have a fuse protecting the system from overload. Because you have a 160 amp alternator, I recommend 175 amp fuse.

This is what I can't find where does this fuse go? At battery? Does there need one to pcm? I wish there was a write up for 99+

This is what I can't find where does this fuse go? At battery? Does there need one to pcm? I wish there was a write up for 99+

The fuse is the fusible link running from the alt to the pdc. I can't remember what it's rated it but I think it's around 130 or so. I'd just get a big fuse holder and fuse to eliminate the risk of the link quitting. You can always jump a fuse in a pinch ( I haven't had to yet but I can)

just to help clarify... they cable from the battery to the PDC (power distribution center) IS the fuse. hence the name, fusible link.

i used a 150a fuse and was able to mount it quite neatly to the pdc without a fuse holder. buy 2, dont count on someone having one if yours fries.

So the only fuse that's needed on a 99+ is the one at the side of the pdc where the main cable from the battery goes to correct?

3e1c6d79c95e28297492191e0e6c2373.png

Here's what I've bought so far plus 4 176 amp fuses

So it's looking like the cost if doing it yourself with inferior crimps is only going to save 20 or so bucks over ordering a complete set from XJWonders. If I can ever get to this, I'll just order a complete set.

So it's looking like the cost if doing it yourself with inferior crimps is only going to save 20 or so bucks over ordering a complete set from XJWonders. If I can ever get to this, I'll just order a complete set.

First, you can't assume inferior anything because you don't know of the quality of the end user's work to make a judgment such as that. Secondly, it's always worth much more than you can put a price on to learn how to do things yourself. If/when something happens out in the field, your knowledge is what you have to depend on. Purchased products support pages don't come up in the boonies.

With that said, I opted to make my own battery cables such as the OP did and I wouldn't have it any other way. I saved on the cost of paying for something else to do it and if $20 is the only savings involved in doing it over a seller, then that seller isn't pricing his product right because that's too tight of a margin to make it worth doing business for.

Good job OP!!!!

I would of bought a kit but didn't get no feedback on where to buy a kit at first so I opted to buy and build my self and the help of y'all, plus in the end I will have the knowledge and the tools for the next project when it arises, been needing to buy a lug tool for two years now anyways to fix mower battery cable ends when I get them in, so it's a win win. Parts are arriving tomorrow besides some odd stuff I will be awaiting on.if anyone has install pictures I would appreciate if you could post them ( especially the fuse install )

Thanks and anymore info is available I'd love to hear it!

First, you can't assume inferior anything because you don't know of the quality of the end user's work to make a judgment such as that. Secondly, it's always worth much more than you can put a price on to learn how to do things yourself. If/when something happens out in the field, your knowledge is what you have to depend on. Purchased products support pages don't come up in the boonies.

With that said, I opted to make my own battery cables such as the OP did and I wouldn't have it any other way. I saved on the cost of paying for something else to do it and if $20 is the only savings involved in doing it over a seller, then that seller isn't pricing his product right because that's too tight of a margin to make it worth doing business for.

Good job OP!!!!

It has nothing to do with the op's ability. A hammer crimp is going to be inferior to a crimp done with a 20 ton press.

It has nothing to do with the op's ability. A hammer crimp is going to be inferior to a crimp done with a 20 ton press.
I worked on battery-powered industrial equipment for many years.
While I prefered using a big bolt cutter-type crimper, the hammer-type worked fine for field repairs, making hundreds of crimps over the years.

I have both a hammer crimper, bought at West Marine 30 years ago, along with a more recently acquired a HD crimper, bought for use wiring motorhomes and boats.
https://www.delcity.net/store/Heavy!duty-Hammer-Cable-Crimper/p_10383
https://www.amazon.com/FTZ-Correct-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DZPS1OO

As long as you start with clean cable and lugs, you can make a good connection with hammer crimper, if you pay attention. Make sure to use the right size lugs.
To keep the connections intact, use adhesive-lined shrink tubing.
Much of my Jeep and old motorhome are wired with hammer-crimped connections. None have gone bad in over a decade of use.
That said, the lugs crimped with the FTZ crimper are beautiful compared to any hammer crimp and are what paying customers expect.
If you suspect a crimp isn't good, check for voltage drop over the crimp, when the circuit is under a heavy load. I do this periodically to make sure nothing is going bad.

Once you own a good crimper, it can pay for itself, making up cables for others.

I had a custom built Durango alternator that put out 225 amps. I had a huge sub/amp in my Jeep at one point. The amp was capable of drawing over 200 amps. I can't for the life of me remember who built it, was almost 10 years ago and it's still going.

Back