• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead CB mount

codus_1

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking for suggestions from anyone running a CB overhead (99 XJ), specifically how and what it is mounted to. Thanks..Cody

overhead mount

I have never done it on a jeep. That being said I May be steering you in the wrong direction. In most vehicles the metal roof has two layers. You can run a short sheet metal screw throught the first layer and not have to seal up a potential water leak. You need to confirm this before you start drilling and get a short oF a screw as you can use. Don't use a self driller it has too much tail end. Hope this helps.

Ed

What size CB? I have a 96 with the IR reciever between the sun visors. So I built a bracket that uses the sun visor screws and the screws in the IR reciever. My CB is an old Middlan 23 channel that barley fits between the sun visors. It has been in for a year and has never caused any problems. If you want, get me your email and I can send you a pic. HTH Jim

If you ahve a overhead center console it is easy to install a wilson 1000 roof mount. Take the console down and there are holes in the head liner to work thru. Have fun drill/grinding a 7/8" hole in your 99, first timers usually freak a little.

mark
orgs mfg

I don't think he is asking about placing a permanent antenna on the roof, but rather mounting the CB up between the visors. On my XJ, I have a small CB mounted up there, using the bracket that came with the radio. All I did was use a small needle to poke through the headliner until I could tell where the extra metal was for mounting an overhead console (I don't have one in my Jeep). Once I knew where the metal bracket was, it was simply a matter of drilling 2 small holes and using short sheet metal screws to mount the radio bracket.

I did this in my '87 and used the viser clip mouting holes. I used a universal mount CB bracket and it lined up with the holes. I created mounting tabs to relocate the visor clips back about 2" toward the windshield. I had to cut and recover the visors to clear the bracket but I don't have the overhead console so my visors are longer. Try to find visors out of a junkyard XJ that had the console. These are shorter.

I actually have the shelf it in my jeep and i have my cb up there. it is great cause it is out of the way, plus i use it to store my cds up there. I am an EMT and I actually have my bluelight mounted up there too. Since the top of the windshield is tinted, you can't see the light unless its on, and it is above the rear view mirror like the undercover cops which is just cool looking. :D

John

Ditto the 'Shelf-It'

Great improvement, and pretty cheap and easy to do.
Sux if your real tall - gets int he way of vision - and the stock visors are a pain.
I have a shelf-it in my 97, I keep my Uniden scanner up there (it's a "media Jackal" Press thing) my CD "folder", smokes and maps, plus my head-unit case.
Thinking about yanking the visors, almost don't need them.
Looked at using late model Dodge Neon visors, think they'll bolt on. Much smaller, and they have the cool "slide-out" for when Mr. Sun is just beyond the visor's reach.
Only way to go.

I removed my visors.. never used them.. course now that I work a little later and seem to drive home when the sun is starting to set.. kinda wish i would have left them on...but guess that just means I gotta go home earlier..HAHA
Very good and cheap mod...especially if you have a lot of stuff in your XJ that ya wanna "hide".

Re: Ditto the 'Shelf-It'

gmars said:
Great improvement, and pretty cheap and easy to do.
Sux if your real tall - gets int he way of vision - and the stock visors are a pain.
I have a shelf-it in my 97, I keep my Uniden scanner up there (it's a "media Jackal" Press thing) my CD "folder", smokes and maps, plus my head-unit case.
Thinking about yanking the visors, almost don't need them.
Looked at using late model Dodge Neon visors, think they'll bolt on. Much smaller, and they have the cool "slide-out" for when Mr. Sun is just beyond the visor's reach.
Only way to go.

any pics of this shelf-it installed?? I like it and may get one if someone will post a pic of it installed in a 97-2001 cherokee.

I have a '92 so I might not be of too much use. But oh well. I used the factory remote keyless receiver. I removed it and mounted it there:
211796_21_full.jpg

just how much space does one of those take up? I like the idea...but i'm 6'4".

the shelf-it and being 6'4 may be a little rough. it does drop down about 2" and reduces the view out of the windshield.
My father in law (6'3) drove my XJ and he had to lean the seat back a little more then me and said it was no problem after that.
I'll post a pic of the shelf-it in my XJ asap.

Mark Hinkley said:
Have fun drill/grinding a 7/8" hole in your 99, first timers usually freak a little.

mark
orgs mfg

six.jpg

1.JPG

my '99 thinks it's swiss cheese :D :D :D :D :D :D

i installed an overhead console amd mounted my cb to that. I have a little midland cb...small, light. I ran the mic cord through a small hole and out the sunglasses holder. I can tuck the cord and mic away when I'm not using it. I'll post some pics soon

Id like to see pics of that thing to. Do they have a provision for the little clip that hold the mirror end of the visors? The pic on JCW didn’t look like it had one.

Back