• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roller rockers?

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody done a stud conversion? I'm having trouble finding the correct length(I will just trim them down if I have too). My rockers will arrive today to see if it's even possible!

I'm talking about the rocker studs(pivot bolts)!!!!!
BTW, the Harland Sharp rockers are advertised as fitting under a stock cover(fitting may be required)!
Luckily I have my old head to do any mock-up work on.

Last edited:
Re: This is gonna work

The rockers arrived, after mic'g them, the numbers work out a lot better than I thought. The only issue now is that the ARP studs have a .200" bullet nose starter thread. At this point I might have to drill reliefs holes in the VC baffling to allow this(otherwise I'll trim the studs). The nut and socket just fit!

The "other" set is for "mechanical" lifters!

PaL2hCaZNPgLfbkOoN9ZMID67qtb9mdJemvWTIhyn6aflYOnk97gUG8TAkF0UB9UPLoZyQEbWw-zNOSc1xo40r024vshvJCGYwNJh55k79a9Aj7J7cw2eGx88TW51elzUsCt-hAE5b5Wr0UT6N7oFxBhwAtiXiBuNpAZcqGFezJj76Il4ZMLc8YLHJ6okrgkAgGVOApSk6u9y0dPIMyK7Leo7_8qq5o2lBxFRxd8dIMZKwFEMShpqKljWbKpw1sczjIaipDGHdXAze8fjCyND2JGi0-NaRfq3b8Qicm20VC0Nxj7SfwBRF0RrrrtrEQAhVQ4OlLIpm58hB1j8-jqkxxgUPLR73O0Saw4NmBB2AbTZMUMTG4Hcj6MYWvCR8CnSatK4Db3i8-53_f-rGm2OGbd5cf6Ki4_zZbbZW8WtTUlXJICknFe0U1FDl1zugOXC3m3zWhoPvdR6K3PdNy6E5s2oPG6ND9H-Z3kjq4WAt7pzUr7XC8PniR-65IOdYylnnEM52w7ScGfCbys7hTT6LfIwc8CoByOPuh8UpurA_00Qisl3eoFp8wQ6a0IjBiQs2fRiL1puYZXdAOA0v9jVwnnw4xD2VtYSJjZZP1WgekZbO24=w1024-h768-no

The point of the studs is higher strength(ARP's are rated 180k), better stability(physical and torque-24ftbs min as in the nut end is a flanged 5/16-24), and ease of assembly. If I did the set-up that the rockers come with, I would have to hold 2 rockers, 2 pedestals ,and 2 bolts together while trying to align 2 SHCS and 2 pushrods while not dropping a pedestal down the block. The old school method for that was rubber bands! My method makes is easy, with supreme holding!

Last edited:
Well my stud kit will arrive today so I can do a final mock-up.
But, believe it or not I'm having troubles getting any good lifters. The ones I ordered last week were on indefinite back order, so I went to our local speed shop to get some. When I got home they didn't all match(don't trust that). So I have another set coming in today from another shop(we'll see)!

What year is this engine?

It's a 2000, I just picked up a full correct set of lifters, now just waiting on the stud kit!
The new head I just purchased last month(0331), that's why the investment!

This is working out great(just got my stud kit) and it looks like I may not have to do much(if anything) to the VC!!
P1080469_zpswubcpw4d.jpg

P1080468_zpswn9bcekt.jpg

Things are looking great, I did my first mock-up today! Somewhere in the middle of that I went "Doh", the lifters needed to be done when I did the head. After all I had been dealing with this thing the last couple months, I thought I had seen a YT video of it being done after the head, Oh well, it was just a thought.
P1080470_zpshj4tiwwz.jpg

P1080471x_zpsetqh8leu.jpg

They can be pulled and swapped with the head still on, just a little harder to reach from what I read, and on some I links I posted recently on a second thread here. There is a tool for grabbing them with the head on as I recall.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1133089

I think only the inline 4 can be done with the head still on. Don't remember exactly, except that the 6 cannot

You just had to make me look up. LOL

I just got dual confirmation the holes in the head on a 4.0, 6-banger are too small :( and on the 4 banger they can be replaced with the head on.

Good catch

This is working out great(just got my stud kit) and it looks like I may not have to do much(if anything) to the VC!!
P1080469_zpswubcpw4d.jpg

P1080468_zpswn9bcekt.jpg

Does indeed look good.

Can you post up a parts list?

S40196 - Harland Sharp rockers
3(4) - ARP 200-2403 studs
1(10) - ARP 300-8331 nuts
1(2) - ARP 300-8321 nuts

OMG, I'm glad I'm doing this stud conversion !!! Today I pulled my valve cover to do the final fit-up. Started with the studs, Nope, easy drill 12 3/8" holes in the baffle, yea it fits! Install all the rockers, Nope, it doesn't fit so I have to remove the baffling. No problem, I'll just install the HS bolts while I Loctite the ARP studs in tonight. What a "pain-in-the-ass", I dropped 5 of the pedestals during the re-temp job and I wasn't even dealing with push rods!

Back