• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stroker + AW4 questions

Tonybeirut

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,
My 1994 Xj became heavy with aftermarket bumpers,12k winch,stinger,roof rack,tire carrier, 33" spare tire, IRO long arm kit, Hi-lift jack, ARB awning , 4 rotopax... i have 4.56 gears already with ARB lockers.

Im willing to stroke the 4.0L and I dont want to go V8 nor change the AW4 , i like it coz i have the RAD shifter working great on trails.

I dont want to repace engine wiring harness neither so stroking the 4.0L is what i want to do but im confused how much HP should i go with and keep the AW4 safe . I read that too much power can brake the AW4 (and the NP242).

I saw strokers at Clegg Engine, RPM machine, Titan, 505 performance.. from 4.6 to 5.0,

Please help me choose a stroker that is easy and safe to install , my engine has 250k on it by the way.

Thank you

The aw4 should hold up fine. If you do not already have an aftermarket trans cooler you should get one. Its a pretty strong slushbox.

Pretty much what he said. Put a big cooler on it and forget it. We have 4 years with somewhere between 350 and 400 horsepower on our aw4 and its holding up just fine.

As far as power, talk to your engine builder and see what they say. They will be the best to advise you on build factoring your use case, fuel and elevation, etc.

If you haven't decided on an engine guy yet, I'd urge you toward Russ Pottenger @ Bishop Buehl, with Golen Engine as a *distance* second. Avoid 505 and Titan if you want an engine that will be reliable.

Pretty much what he said. Put a big cooler on it and forget it. We have 4 years with somewhere between 350 and 400 horsepower on our aw4 and its holding up just fine.

As far as power, talk to your engine builder and see what they say. They will be the best to advise you on build factoring your use case, fuel and elevation, etc.

If you haven't decided on an engine guy yet, I'd urge you toward Russ Pottenger @ Bishop Buehl, with Golen Engine as a *distance* second. Avoid 505 and Titan if you want an engine that will be reliable.

I have a trans cooler yes, everyone is suggesting Golen engines, im contacting them to advise me which kit is the best for me, i cant buy a crate engine will cost too much for shipping to Beirut.
350 to 400 hp? which stroker you have please? from Golen?

Last edited:
If you're looking for a kit, stop now and talk to Russ Pottenger at Bishop Buehl.

I only suggested Golen as a distant second because Russ has a huge back log on crate engines, but he can ship a kit within a week.

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Fax (626) 967-7836
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email [email protected]

If you're looking for a kit, stop now and talk to Russ Pottenger at Bishop Buehl.

I only suggested Golen as a distant second because Russ has a huge back log on crate engines, but he can ship a kit within a week.

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Fax (626) 967-7836
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email [email protected]

I sent him a message on facebook he saw it but no reply. anyway ill email him maybe he is too much busy to answer.

I have a trans cooler yes, everyone is suggesting Golen engines, im contacting them to advise me which kit is the best for me, i cant buy a crate engine will cost too much for shipping to Beirut.
350 to 400 hp? which stroker you have please? from Golen?

Not so sure you can get 350-400 hp out a stroked 4.0 & still have it streetable.........I thought 300 was about the limit

Not so sure you can get 350-400 hp out a stroked 4.0 & still have it streetable.........I thought 300 was about the limit

maybe true 5-10 years ago. some better guys have gotten into the game.

maybe true 5-10 years ago. some better guys have gotten into the game.

and still streetable ???

Hmmm....maybe no v8 for me too........

got names/companies....all the HP ratings I've seen are in the 275-290 range......

Last edited:
Back