• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Rebuild (First time)

andrewnp

NAXJA Forum User
Goooood morning everyone. I have looked around for all inclusive parts lists, but most apply to the NP242 earlier model (Extra long tail cone), if anyone has one for the NV242 it would be much appreciated.

This is the best one I have seen so far: http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?8549-Basic-breakdown-of-the-NV242

My 2001 Cherokee had a bad wobble between 30-40mph, found when the rear DS was pulled the wobble went away. Ordered a HNT and picked up a spare front driveshaft to use. When installing the HNT we noticed the rear TC output shaft was not spinning evenly. Figured out this was the big contributor to the wobble After installing the HNT the wobble went away (it shortened the output shaft enough to where it wasn't that significant).

Within a week I heard the awful whine of a Transfer Case chain scraping... so took it off the road and am starting to rip it down...and now I have a few questions.

1) Rear TC Shaft wobble: Bad output bearing?

2) Cracked the rear output housing when removing, the part number for my TC Oil pump housing says 25988, but that is the one without a speedometer hole when I look it up, 19125 is the PN for the one with the Speedo hole... anyone else run into this?

3) She had a problem getting into 4 Part time and would blink it and out of 4 Full recently, where should I look for this?

Thanks for your time! I will probably be filling this thread up as I go.

Last edited:
Find a genuine Jeep factory parts list catalog here -> https://xjjeeps.com/

Shaft wobble is possibly a bent shaft which would destroy the bearing.

An incorrectly adjusted shifting mechanism and /or worn shift fork tabs would be a logical cause of poor shifting or failure to maintain a specific mode. If you are replacing the chain, replace the shift fork tabs also.

If the output housing is cracked, the bearing is probably moving around, which allows the main shaft to wobble, creating additional stress related problems internally (eg, chain stretched, rod moving around on the shift indicator, etc). Honestly I would look at replacing the whole thing if I were you.

Back