• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front shocks

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
OK I'm in telluride. The frent shockso are wobbling around, is this commonormal? Obviously ide assume tightening is the answeer thought these 5150'sites are nother old. What is proper shock torque? Black bear pass had shocks squaking.

-What-meme-12129.jpg

hahaha

i gave it an honest attempt to try and comprehend what the problem is....how are the shocks "wobbling around"

Why are they wobbling? I have the 5150 on my XJ and they do not wobble. Are the shafts bent, are they loose, how are the tops secured to the XJ?
I used a stud from Bilstein on the top of mine and the supplied bar pin on the bottom. They have worked well for me over the years. Next time I will get the firmer set.

My God thanks for everyone reading the first post lol its fairly illiterate.

So in the engine bay where the bushings sandwhich the wheel well, they are moving.

during installation do you tighten the nut until it stops? It's not backing off but the bushings are peaking out from the washer and are being cut by moving around. I've never had this problem and I don't want to over tighten the nut

thanks xcm ill try new bushings and re-pre loading them once installed. Thanks for everyones effort in attempting to understand this issue, i know its rather irregular.

ok so ive gone a little further by taking off the washers on top of the shocks and these things are absolutely toasted! why would the bushings be so chewed up where they sandwhich the wheel well? Is there a proper bushing for XJs ?

I installed the bilstein 5100 4-5 years ago as the came out of the box and never thought twice about it. The xj mounting holes are about 1" why is there such a large cavity for a shock?!!! I find it hard to see why bushings wouldnt get chewed up, has anyone had this issue and know why?

The bushings are made to fit the in the hole to keep the shaft from rubbing on the hole and making noise/wearing out the hole.The top nuts must have gotten loose and your bushings got tore up due to the movement.

Back