• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What material to use?

crazymaci

NAXJA Forum User
Need some input. I'm building my sliders and I have a few choices on material for legs. My sliders are 2x3" 1/4 wall, I could use 1" 1/8 wall square, 1 1/4" 3/16 wall or 1.5" 3/16 wall. Also what size flatbar do you all use for the pinch seam.
I'll make plates and weld them to my ruff stuff stiffys.

2x2 3/16 for the legs. If you cant then 1.5 is the next best. Minimum I'd use is 3/16 to go the pinch weld. Or cut the rockers out and weld tubing in. Gains you a lot more clearance over sliders below the rocker.

I used 2x2x1/4 for the tie ins on my 2x6 rockers probably could have done 3/16, but I'd rather it be overbuilt and not have to worry about it

I would use some angle iron at the pinch seams. Something to spread out the impact. Many people use flat stock that will guillotine the body if hit hard. That 1.5" would be sufficient for the legs.

Cool thanks 1.5" it is. Do you guys do two legs or three? I was thinking two. One forward of my tcase/future long arm mount and one about equal as the front but from the rear. Seems legit.

I used 2x2x1/4 for the tie ins on my 2x6 rockers probably could have done 3/16, but I'd rather it be overbuilt and not have to worry about it

I used.250 because I had It sitting but I should have used .120 for the supports behind my boatside skins The tube will share the thickness of the .188 skin that's 5/16th . wall thickness gets little in load support so if it's not hitting rocks no nerd for twice the weight .you would gain more load support by going a quarter inch in diameter bigger than adding any wall thickness .

Back