• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carriers/ gears

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
If I have read my research right Im running 3.73 gears there for i can only go lower from here( 4.11's maybe if its worth it)

However, Do carriers share any adaptable gears sizes. For instance if i buy detroit locker and true trac with 4.11 gears, will 4.56 gears fit the same carries?

Its called carrier breaks, anything above, or below the break, will work. Below the break 3.07 or 3.73 would fit, and anything above, like 4.10, 4.56, or 4.88 would fit their matching carrier/lockers.

The thickness of the ring gear changes with the ratio, so a 4.10 has a larger pinion head, and a thinner ring gear. A 4.88 has a smaller pinion head, and a wide ring gear to 'reach' the pinion.
Theres only so thin or thick you can make the ring gears... requiring carriers with a ring gear flange located at differant places.

SOMETIMES, you can find a 'THICK' gearset, to work on carriers that normally would not accept certain ratios, however with all the differant axle applications and variances out there, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Make sure you verify where the carrier break is for your specific axle!
Sites like ringpinion.com can have good info, most drivetrain shops have slow shipping and low tech websites, gotta make sure you get the right part!

DSCN0243.zpsxq8dee1b.gpg

Installed a Truetrack in a 8.25 with 4 56: gears. Note the fit is without the exciter ring for a speed sensor.

Back