• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 30 DISCO

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,
I'm going to put this under the "modified" section, but its essentially OEM. I am putting together a front axle for my XJ, using an older high pinion Dana 30. The XJ is a mild build, with 31 inch tires. It already has a powertrax locker and new seals throughout. I cleaned the axle up, painted it up and have been collecting parts all winter. The plan is to use all new parts: bushings, balljoints, unit bearings, brakes etc. I recently came across a vendor who had Spicer inner axles at a very reasonable price, so I purchased both sides and u-joints. After receiving the axles, it was evident that they were the upgraded larger u-joints as well. That being said, the passenger side disconnect axle has the same spline count, but does not have the caged needle-bearing on the end like the original. I believe this may be referred to as the intermediate shaft bearing.The inner diameter of this new axle appears to be very close to the inner diameter of the bearing, but obviously will not accept the same size bearing. I cant imagine that this is meant to run without a bearing? I have looked at intermediate shafts, and they seem to be the same across XJ and YJ that still used the disco front axle. I have searched high and low for a breakdown that would explain this difference. Can anyone shine some light on this subject?

The more I look at this axle shaft, the more I am thinking it has a press in bushing rather than a bearing. Can anyone confirm this?

ac319ac277aacefc539b0bfd61c70f3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Does the male side fit in the shaft with out the hole? I can't remember if mine had a bearing. One piece axle is easier

Well, I did check the inside diameter of the bushing vs the bearing and they are the same. So apparently in later years a switch was made to the bushing style. Yes, it does fit to the intermediate shaft perfectly. Plastic bushing? Holy smokes, I can imagine how long that would last!

Back