• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible first 2001 XJ - What to look for

trippb

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't been around Jeeps since I was a kid. Now, I have a chance to buy a 2001 XJ for $1,000. Here is what know:

2001 Sport 4D 4WD 4.0
162,000 miles
Auto Trans
PW/PDL
Appears stock

Been sitting about 6 months
Still starts and runs
Check engine light is on
He says he knows of no transmission problems
Tires are usable

Given all that, what should I look out for? What problems should I expect?

Look for rust on the floor pan. Look at the dipstick and underside of oil cap for signs of coolant(2000s&2001s have crack-prone heads due to flawed castings). Ask the owner if it ever overheated. Find out what that CEL is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what your plans are, and how much you want to invest, and what condition it's in. Check the header core for leaking.. I was shopping for an xj, a 99 though because of the head issues, and about a third of them had blown heater cores. That's not a fun job. Also how badly are the rear leafs sagging, blown shocks, bad ball joints in the front end, excessive steering play, control arm bushings, rotted unibody, leaks.. Like I said, its all relative to how much you want to invest and what condition its in... And also how much of it you'll do yourself. I had to talk my friend out of buying one a few years ago because it needed everything, and he could barely change a set of brakes and I could see it being such a money pit.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

I would say as long as there is no rust or extensive body damage for 1k sounds like a steal. Almost too good to be true, but depends where you live. In CO a Jeep for 1k that runs and drives is pretty fn rare and there is a heap of other problems someones not telling you about. If there is rust or extensive damage I personally would stay away. Rust and bodywork on unibodies is beyond a nightmare. As everyone has stated the 01's have head problems, it's not all of them but high chance of it happening. For a few hundred you can be proactive and replace the head. Past that check oil cap and oil dipstick for water. I would start it up and go drive it around try to get it to operating temp and see what happens. Turn on AC and heat, check wipers and other electronic devices. Get a scanner and see what codes are throwing a CEL. Pay 7 bucks and use instavin to get a history report and make sure the car wasn't totaled in another state. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are matters too. Jeep aren't money pits but can be, ask me how I know :looney:

Look for rust, cracked head, working A/C, heater core not leaking, and since it has a CEL on, put a code reader on it. If the mini-cats need to be replaced that will cost too. I was wondering why sitting for 6 months too, either head cracked, won't pass emissions, or a heater core? Though some people just get some inheritance, buy a new car, and stop driving the old one.

Do understand that only some 2000-2001 XJs have bad heads, not all.
My 2001 XJ has almost 200,000 on it and the head is fine, so is my brothers high mileage 2000 XJ.
I know several other who have the same years without problems.

I had my XJ's head rebuilt a couple years ago and it was tested for cracks and was free of them.
As suggested, pull the oil cap and look for milky brown foam, a sign of water in the oil. Also look at the top of the head, through the oil cap opening,
using a flashlight, to look for a crack between #3 and #4 cylinders. Many times a crack will be visible.
If you are going to find rust, check under the carpet, beneath the front seats, that's where water tends to pool.

I think the heads generally crack when it's overheated.. So if you don't overheat it should be fine. I see a lot of cracked head xjs on Craigslist though so it's definitely fairly common, especially if you don't keep up with the coolant system. It's worth it to check to make sure. I searched for a clean 99 to avoid the head as well as the coil packs.

New xj guy here but old on the mechanical know how, figured I'd chime in....light discolor of oil and a little grossness on the oil cap can come from moisture build up from the sitting. Buttt usually is a crack and non-tupy 331 heads are a gamble to begin with. Some last some crack. Pull the codes and let it sit and run. Some old gas through it won't hurt nearly as bad as finding that oil pressure drops off once it warms up.

I'd also pull the Radiator cap and see how the coolant looks... if it's milky or brown then I'd say there's a High chance of a cracked 0331 cylinder head. (speaking from personal experience on my current 2001 XJ)

I think the heads generally crack when it's overheated.. So if you don't overheat it should be fine. I see a lot of cracked head xjs on Craigslist though so it's definitely fairly common, especially if you don't keep up with the coolant system. It's worth it to check to make sure. I searched for a clean 99 to avoid the head as well as the coil packs.

That's true of any 4.0L, honestly. I have seen just as many older 4.0Ls crack and warp heads as 0331 heads from overheating.

The pistons seem to be prone to breakage. .. but that's just a "new" 4.0 thing

for $1000 and 162k miles...if it runs and is not wrecked...dont look at anything...just buy it...thats a steal, its worth that much to buy and part it out.

Even if you end up not wanting later it you could turn around and sell it for 2-4 times what you paid.

Back