• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passable cheap shock advice needed

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Need front shocks for a 99 with about 185k on it. Don't really want to spend more than about $40 each, would rather stay under that since the vehicle will likely be retired soon. This is just a daily driver, just trying to get it in better shape for an alignment and get the ride stiffened up. I've been seeing different monroes in the price range and gabriels (access to advance and autozone). I can also go amazon or ebay as this isn't something I need to do today. Please post any experiences or advice. Thanks!

The cheap Napa shocks would run you about $25 a side. I used the better Napa shocks, about $40 a side, on my '00. They seem OK. Just a Daily Driver.

Thanks for the replies! I ended up going with gabriel proguards from autozone. they are MUCH better than what was on it and provide a nice solid ride. yeah, i know they are junk but they have a "limited lifetime" warranty, and i don't think the monroes had that. i had put sensatracs on my 96 years ago and IIRC they were a little to soft for my liking.

this jeep will likely be retired soon so for $50 it was worth it. unfortunately the damn top of the driver side one took about an hour to get out.... tried snapping the shock (but had already loosened it a good bit so prob why that didn't work)....vice grips on the bottom, all kinds of crap. didnt' have my dremel with a cutoff wheel and that area with all the brake lines is just way too tight to try anything larger. wound up bending the shock up at about a 90 degree angle and holding on to it while wrenching off the nut.

Back