• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which fuel pump: Walbro or Bosch?

BasslicksXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, I've done lots of searching and the general consensus I'm getting is to get the Carter fuel pump and strainer set because it's OEM. GREAT!

But there's two options...

Carter P74057 with a Walbro pump
-or-
Carter P74155 with a Bosch pump

By the way, this is for a '92 4.0

My other question is, being as the fuel check valve on these is part of the pump unit... is it in the pump or is it in the assembly?

My check valve is bad and I have low fuel pressure, so I know I need to replace the pump, but the gauge works fine, so I know I don't need the sender. I just don't want to replace the pump and then find out I still have to do the poor man's prime just to get it to start.

Just about everyone on here recommends Bosch. Lots of folks who don't use Bosch pumps often come back and say they had to do the job again, and finally used a Bosch which solved their problems. On at least 1997 and up, there are two check valves that could go bad. One in the pump, and one on the top of the assembly. I have limited knowledge of earlier years.

Just about everyone on here recommends Bosch. Lots of folks who don't use Bosch pumps often come back and say they had to do the job again, and finally used a Bosch which solved their problems. On at least 1997 and up, there are two check valves that could go bad. One in the pump, and one on the top of the assembly. I have limited knowledge of earlier years.

Thanks for the reply. That's very helpful.

As far as the check valve, I know there's only one... just don't know exactly where it is in relation to the pump. I would just do what a lot of others have done and get the inline bimmer check valve, but being as I have low fuel pressure as well, there's no point in not replacing the pump.

There's only one check valve on the 92, and its in the pump. I put one inline in the soft line to take some of the work off the internal check valve.

The Bosch pump that was used in the OEM setup is not the same pump they sell aftermarket. I'm sure its a good pump though.

Back