• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big problem with ecco wheels

Sub Zero

NAXJA Forum User
I got a set of ecco wheels and swapped my 31x10.50s onto them. I know others are running this same setup, but after I put the eccos on my xj the tires are rubbing my swaybar endlinks on the rear axle. I know the backspacing is different from my old wheels, but others don't seem to have this issue. Anybody experienced this? Any ideas how to fix it? The only thing I can think of are wheels spacers

Just remove it, it won't hurt daily drivablity at all, and I doubt you'll even be able to tell it's gone unless you run around heavily loaded....even then it's so small it barely does anything.

I'm with him, just yank it out. I have on all of mine. I'm sure you'll find that most of the responses you get here will be the same.

Fair enough, seems like it's pretty common after reading up on it some more. I guess some didn't even have from the one factory

Yup, I think it's the upcountry package that came without one. I yanked mine when I got my XJ.

The curious thing is why I'm having this issue with factory xj wheels. I wonder if the sway bar was shorter in the 97+, or if the ecco wheels only came on no sway bar models

Well you said it's the tire hitting correct? I would hope it's not the wheel making contact, otherwise I'd think you have something seriously tweaked. 31x10.50 are a larger tire than came from the factory so that tire bulge is more than likely what's taking up the clearance... Does it contact on both sides?

It is the tire contacting, I didn't bother to check both sides. I guess I didn't realize how much the tires bulge out because the fit the wheels very well. I had some 225/75r15s that I threw on for the time being. There is much more room, but the bs is also different

After installing my 4.5 in lift and 33s I ran without a front or rear sway bar for about a month before I got around to installing the quick disconnects. I honestly didn't really notice a big difference in handling.

I notice a big difference when the Front is disconnected on 33s, but the rear not so much. It is hitting because there isn't much offset on the ecco wheels and the tires are wider. Try removing the rear bar.

Yeah, I know the offset isn't much. I guess I figured jeep would have given you just a little more room. I'm sure my tires aren't helping

Yeah, I know the offset isn't much. I guess I figured jeep would have given you just a little more room. I'm sure my tires aren't helping
The XJs were not designed to be more than soccer mom's car.
10.50" X 31' are a lot bigger than stock and the wheels need a little less backspacing than stock.
When the 01 had 31"s, 1-1/4" spacers were added to keep the tires off the inner fenders and just inside the raised flairs.

The rear sway bar is not very thick and doesn't add much, IMO, but, for a street driven XJ, the front bar is a must to maintain control at highway speeds, when serious maneuvering might be required. Get in an accident and if the lawyers find that both your sway bars are missing, it could be bad.
Do love them disconnected off-road.

Someone mentioned that Country Editions do not have rear sway bars. My stock 97 Country has a stock, rear Factory sway bar.

Jeep didnt put 31x10.5's on any xj's.... so i dunno what makes you think you are running a stock tire size... Wheels are only part of the equation... come on man.

I dunno why people are bringing up front sway bars... but if you say you cant feel your front swaybar disconnected, unless your running suuuuuper stiff 2.5"+ shocks, youve got shitty car feel...

Jeep didnt put 31x10.5's on any xj's.... so i dunno what makes you think you are running a stock tire size... Wheels are only part of the equation... come on man.

I dunno why people are bringing up front sway bars... but if you say you cant feel your front swaybar disconnected, unless your running suuuuuper stiff 2.5"+ shocks, youve got shitty car feel...
I know I'm not running a stock tire size, I just didn't know the tire bulging would make such a difference, first time I've had oversized tires. I found out otherwise the hard way. Rear sway bar is coming off tonight. Problem solved.

Back