• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 transfer case rebuild kit

Caner.

NAXJA Forum User
hey there, I'm in the process of getting all I need (information & parts) to replace the front output bearing of my transfer case (it's the NP242). it was highly suggested I get a repair kit and do other seals and bearings while I'm at it, so I'm looking for the right one and can't seem to find it. I found one from Crown, but I was told not to bother with them and to look elsewhere.

my XJ is a 96 and during my research, it seems there's 2 types of np242, one 'early' model until 93 if I remember correctly, and a 'late' model, for the remaining years.

looking on rockauto it seems there's only a kit for the 'early' np242, nothing from 94 to 01.

part number is : SKF STCK242 (also has variants, AA BB CC)

crown parts # are : 242EMASKIT (early one) and 242LMASKIT (later one)

like I said people told me to avoid crown, so ideally I want to stay far from them.

below is a screenshot of the results from rockauto. I'm interested in knowing if that kit would still work, or if I need another one.

thanks!

VJuWreD.png

I just checked 3 places and it only gives the option for an NP231J in that year. Do you have full time 4WD option or just part time or did someone swap in a 242? I'm probably wrong but if you aren't certain of the TC you have, I would check.

There are actually only a handful of bearings--thick or thin input bearings, and 27- or 32-spline output bearings. The real differences between the kits are in things like the seals. EG, some shifters use o-rings, some use nylon ring seals, some have needle bearings and actual rubber seals, and so forth.

A buddy got a 242-HD from a WJ and we could not find a rebuild kit for it, but we bought one of the regular kits and an extra output bearing for the 32-spline rear output, and were able to rebuild everything from that.

The kits that have the large number of seals are really flexible.

So the "Kit 242MR-2, master rebuild, NP242 transfer case, Jeep 1994-, later narrow bearing style" from Novac doesn't work for you '96 NP242? I bet if you called them, they would be able to give you an exact answer. Having a picture of the stamped nameplate from the case would help too.

There are actually only a handful of bearings--thick or thin input bearings, and 27- or 32-spline output bearings. The real differences between the kits are in things like the seals. EG, some shifters use o-rings, some use nylon ring seals, some have needle bearings and actual rubber seals, and so forth.

A buddy got a 242-HD from a WJ and we could not find a rebuild kit for it, but we bought one of the regular kits and an extra output bearing for the 32-spline rear output, and were able to rebuild everything from that.

The kits that have the large number of seals are really flexible.

yeah I remember you saying this about the diameter. like I said in the previous post I'll get the opinion of my shop and ask what they would get if they were to do it, and then reconsider my options.

that avatar looked familiar and I realized you're the one who replied on CF too, so thanks again!

So the "Kit 242MR-2, master rebuild, NP242 transfer case, Jeep 1994-, later narrow bearing style" from Novac doesn't work for you '96 NP242? I bet if you called them, they would be able to give you an exact answer. Having a picture of the stamped nameplate from the case would help too.

I'll probably contact them, but since I'm in canada I expected to pay way too much because of shipping & the value of our dollar. I thought surely there would be more than 2-3 options.

like ehall said I'd think because of the splines at least one bearing and seal would be too small if they upgraded after 1993. the others might be fine but if there was a kit specifically for np242 after 1993/4 that would be best. I don't want to buy a $150+ kit, tear open my case and only then realize I'm stuck until I get the right part(s).

Back