• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding ZJ rear end on XJ. Can it be done?

Nichkojr.7

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys just was thinking off the top of my head If you could take a rear axle from a ZJ and put it in an XJ since the ZJ has coil overs It would be fairly cheap if you had the fabrication skills, welding skills and patience. Just swap and make control arm brackets? What do you all think?
46d131a795f784dc7df950296e69d711.jpg

You can do anything with enough skills and money

Not much point in doing this though. The grand Cherokee aluminum 44's aren't worth swapping in

Also it just has coil springs, not coil overs

The zj runs coils springs and shocks, not coilovers. For the trouble of building coil buckets, control arm mounts, shock mounts and a track bar mount you'd be better off building a triangulated 4 link with mounts where you want them using the rear axle you already have. Or go to a 1 ton axle so you get the strength upgrade as well as the suspension upgrade. The factory grand cherokee mounts are week and hang pretty low.

My bad guys I meant coils and the whole point i would want them, or anyone who owns a jeep as a daily driver would appreciate a smoother ride

daily driver would appreciate a smoother ride

smoother ride comes from knowing how to set up leaf springs correctly. shackle relocators to allow a proper 45 degree angle, proper shocks, and the right leaf packs(closes to stock pay load rating, and more thinner leafs)

If it is strictly for ride quality it is a waste of time. If you want more travel, better control of axle wrap, and increased adjustability I wouldn't hesitate to go to a triangulated 4-link. Shackle angle and shocks can make or break the ride quality of any leaf spring set up.

My bad guys I meant coils and the whole point i would want them, or anyone who owns a jeep as a daily driver would appreciate a smoother ride

Much cheaper and easier ways to do that.

I've daily driven lifted xj's and never felt the ride was an issue, unless I was running cheap or dead shocks

Back