• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift advice and suggestions

MSRT74

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a question and looking for some advice. I've got a 92 that's pretty much stock. I will be getting a lift and tires in the coming months with lockers and gears later this year. My end plan is no more than 33s for tires. I've looked at MetalCloak, RE, and RC. I really like MC, but there's not a lot of info for XJs and people that have installed and ran it, but looks like a solid system. Are there any others I should consider? Experiences with your suspension systems are welcome.
I will mainly be expedition type of trail with moderate rock crawling, if that helps in your advice. Thanks for your input.

Long arm or short arm?
I've built mine with Rusty's front coils and OME rear leafs. Spacer to level the front, 3/4" ext shackles, Bilstien 5100s, stock LS 3.55 gears, adj control arms. I sit at 4" on 30s/stock wheels - I will NOT go bigger than 32s so it's perfect for me. I usually drive expedition style; ruts, creek crossings, general exploring with some rocks tossed in.

The Rusty's coils are really too soft for me. They squish really easily on and off road; no sag though over a year. OME leaves ride nice and firm, and flex amazing off road. I have a really great flex with this set up. I mainly use my rig for daily driving, and it's off road use is getting to camp sites and down nasty fire roads to kayak landings.

I have also thought about using Metal Cloak springs, and I've heard good things (what limited info for XJs) when spoken of.

I'd like to stay short arm. I'm starting to lean towards piecing my system together. A little more work, but get the best parts that will fill my needs/wants.

Building a kit on your own is the only way I would go if I had it to do over again. My jeep had a 7.5" re system on it when I bought it. Swapped in the metal cloak tj 5.5" springs to lower it down a bit as well as removing 1 leaf from the re spring pack. Built my own shackle relocation brackets to get the shackle sitting at 45 degrees instead of vertical. This made the single biggest difference in ride quality on road and at speed off road. Ended up modifying the radius arms to run a single upper on the passenger side with heims and 9/16" bolts when I swapped in the front 44. I run bilstein 5100 series shocks, which I would consider as the minimum as far as shock quality.

Back