• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cps testing question

alwayzAMC

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys, been doing an extensive amount of body work and other work on my 1999 xj

i finally got the gas tank in and it started right up, i revved it up, sounded great, let off the throttle, it stumbled and died, i did not think much about it as i had the air filter and such disconnected from the throttle body. i had done a service on a low milage set of fuel injectors, and replaced those prior to my first start, after it started i cleared the computer. i went to start it up the other night and just turns over, no fire is my guess. working alone so cant test for spark too easily.

started with all the fuses they are all good, i tested the CPS and got some funny readings when comparing to the readings i get from the factory new one i had on a shelf.

when testing resistance in the leads of the cps will there be resistance when testing any combination of the 3 prongs when the sensor is attached to the engine? i am getting resistance in every combination of the 3 pins. in my mind they should test the same, both on and off the vehicle, but just to make sure first before i swap it i thought i would ask to verify.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1070683 is the test for the CPS that i did.

thanks for any info

RD

I was told there is NO way to test the newer non-remix CPS. From my experience, the folks that told me that are right on. It is either bad or good. Lol. I now keep two Mopar spares on hand.

it appears my skill level with a multimeter has diminished drastically, i tried to run the test again and was getting all kinds of weird readings.

figured out my problem i got some water in my tank, dropped the tank again, drained it, drained the lines, new plugs and it started right up.

now is time for me to familiarize myself with an angle finder to set my pinyon angle,

will work on my multimeter skills soon.
thanks guys

it appears my skill level with a multimeter has diminished drastically, i tried to run the test again and was getting all kinds of weird readings.

figured out my problem i got some water in my tank, dropped the tank again, drained it, drained the lines, new plugs and it started right up.

now is time for me to familiarize myself with an angle finder to set my pinyon angle,

will work on my multimeter skills soon.
thanks guys

If you are using a cheap auto-ranging multimeter - trash it and get a quality manual ranging multimeter with 10 Meg Ohm impedance.

Back