• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just how noisy is the cowl cold air intake?

nicpaige

NAXJA Forum User
It's time for me to make a decision regarding bringing the intake air in through the cowl or not. I am slightly concerned with some of the reports of the excessive noise from doing this mod. Can anyone give me any indication as to how loud it is?

I have the specter (spectre?). Haha I don't know about spelling, but it's the shiny one with an in-tube filter. On a cold start it will hiss for about 30 seconds. After that it's only audible at WOT. IMO it adds some nice drama to getting on the throttle. Haha if it's a Jeep it's supposed to make some funky noises...

I have the Thor intake. It's fairly loud anywhere above 3500rpm. And it hisses on cold startups. I really only thought it was annoying when I went on a 12hr road trip but other than that I like it.

Modded stock intake isn't bad, low enough that you forget about it and are only reminded when you get on it. The thor however let me knew it was there EVERY time I started the truck and at certain speeds would hiss. I didn't like it at all but sold the truck so it doesn't bother me now.

I bought my jeep with the Spectre and I could only take it for a couple weeks before I went to a stock airbox. Granted when I bought it it was rolling on 32s with stock gears so I was always in the throttle. I found that I could not talk to the kids in the back seat. I guess it would not be too bad if it's not a DD or you like loud vehicles. It wouldn't bother me at all for a trail only rig.

I think that the homemade option works great. I have about $20 into the project and that included two 4" opening brackets, a hose, and a spare box from the junk yard.

I set mine up so that All I need to do is swap out the box before going to the trails and I can ride with a stock set up the rest of the time.

Just this simple - quick 3 minute swap out:
FinishedCowlIntake_zpsfb7f1188.jpg
96BC4116-0345-41EC-9CA0-D9F4B28C46CE_zpsdwvzd2cl.jpg

Last edited:
I think that the homemade option works great. I have about $20 into the project and that included two 4" opening brackets, a hose, and a spare box from the junk yard.

I set mine up so that All I need to do is swap out the box before going to the trails and I can ride with a stock set up the rest of the time.

Why don't you run the modified box all the time?

I prefer the way the factory set up looks.

Back